Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Control ingle Taxonomy Terms with Access

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Can I Control single Terms with Toolset Access, so to make them visible only to their Authors?

Solution:
No, this is impossible, as terms will not hold any author data.

This support ticket is created 6 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 6 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Sorry for the basic question., but I just want to confirm that if a logged in user created content on the front-end and creates a category, only THAT logged in user can see that category, correct? so...a different logged in user won't be able to see the other users created category, correct?
I will be using the views plugin to display a users created content.

Thank you!

No, this is not correct.

Let me explain this in detail (I apologies if I explain some things that might be obvious to you already).

1. In WordPress, Taxonomies are groups of Terms, which you can attach to single Posts.
2. Categories are just a taxonomy added natively by WordPress, to Posts.
3. "Uncategorized" is a Term, of the Taxonomy "Category", added natively by WordPress.

Taxonomies are usually public unless controlled by something like Toolset Access.
This means, every one on the front end can reach the Archive of those taxonomies and if you add it to the templates, as example with our ShortCodes or PHP, everyone who reads the posts with Terms of that Taxonomy also can see them.

In the Backend, everyone who can edit or add or someone manipulate posts where the taxonomy is attached to, can see the terms of that taxonomy as well.

It does not matter really who crates the term.

Now, with Toolset Access you can have a little more control over this, although the major point of Access is to control Post Types (and with it, the attached Taxonomies and Fields).

Are you using it already?
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/setting-access-control/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/managing-wordpress-admin-capabilities-access/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/access-control-for-cred-forms/

Eventually you want to achieve some very specific goal that maybe can be done in a different way.

Please let me know if with above information you can proceed or if you need further details!

Hi Beda,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am using Access. So with Access only the user who created a specific category on a custom post type (which I'm using) can see that category, provided it's set up that way in Access, correct? I'm just getting started, but just want to make sure before I get to deep as this is an essential aspect of my project.
If your answer is yes (an I hope it is!) no worries, I'll figure it out how via the fantastic tutorials you have!

Thank you!
Scott.

No, the settings of Access do not reach a such deep level where you can control "own term" like for Post Types, where you can control "own posts".

Hence, you can control what role (or single user) can generally Assign, Delete, Edit and Manage Terms, but those rights will be applied to ALL terms within a certain Taxonomy.

If your user has the right to manipulate a Post Type with a Taxonomy attached to it, and also has the rights over that Taxonomy, he will be able to use all Terms within, even if they where created by other Users.

There is no possibility to restrict terms on a "author" base, as terms simply do not keep that information in the database.

Just to clarify...I'm creating a site where a user creates a post under a custom post type and creates a term for a custom taxonomy to attach to it. When he views the results of his posts I only want him to be able to see the categories he created to attach to that post and not terms others created.
To clarify further....
Example....this is a site for music composers.
I have a CPT called "My Songs" and a custom taxonomy called "Publisher". The composer, via a form, fills in the details about the song via fields and creates a term for the "Publisher" taxonomy called, say, "Oxford University Music Press" and when he views his songs he'll see this term attached to it. When he fills out the form again he'll see his created term and be able to quickly select it. Now, another composer will do the same, but I don't want the other composer to see the first composers term "Oxford University Press" in either his form or view.
Is this possible?

Thank you!

Oye...I got your reply while writing my last. So, that's really not good news for me.
Any suggestions on how I can achieve my goals?

Thank you.

Maybe with the "post relationship" that's in beta? But I understand that functionality won't be incorporated into Cred forms for awhile.

No, as mentioned above, Terms do not store author data, hence you cannot retrieve this information when you display the term.

Neither Custom Fields can be used like that. You would need to use Child or Parent posts instead, I think, and control them in Access, so the users can see/edit/other only their own posts.

This can then be used in a parent/child post so to allow them to choose only "own" posts.

But this requires a different setup, which is elaborated here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/creating-post-type-relationships/

And it is not very smooth yet with CRED, you can not do the same as in the backend with it.

A first working beta of CRED with Many To Many is planned fro end of this month, but this is just a rough plan.

I cannot guarantee it.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.