Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Use Post Reference Field to connect Posts with other Posts

This support ticket is created 4 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.47 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 4 years ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Hi there,
I would like to be able to connect Posts with other Posts of the same post type to make a custom related posts view. In this case I am using the default post type "Posts".

The Post Reference Field would appear to be a good tool for doing this, but it looks like I cannot connect posts of the same type. Is that right? When I go to set up the Post Reference custom field, I have set the field to appear on Posts, but then I can't select "Posts" for the Post Reference field - it's greyed out - non-selectable.

Is there a good reason for this; can it be overridden?

My aim is to be able to go to edit a post, assign a number of related posts and then produce a view to display them with the main post. Is there some way to do this if not with the Post Reference Field.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi David,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Unfortunately this won't be possible as you can only relate posts that are in different post types using the Post Reference field.

Secondly you can do a Parent/Child type relationship similar to the Pages post type but you will need to use a Custom post type to do this since it won't be possible to do with the default wordpress post type.

With this type of relationship you are able to relate posts on the same post type with each other.

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.