Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Use of the Shortcode View is disabling the filtering function

This support ticket is created 6 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 20 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by joshM-4 6 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Josh,

I believe I understand now.

The only way I see this working is for you to change the structure a bit.

Lets say you use your Taxonomy for the broader categories such as Boys, Girls, Men, Women and the you can use a second taxonomy or custom fields for the subdivisions example shorts, t-shirt

So your setup would be
Taxonomy A
- Boys
- Girls
- Men
- Women

Taxonomy B
- Shorts
- T-shirts
- Skirts
- Dress

So with this setup you are able to pre-filter Taxonomy A based on the page you are on and then add filters for Taxonomy B and Taxonomy B will only display the relevant categories based on Taxonomy A.

Please let me know if this is clear.

Thanks
Shane

Hi Shane,

I understand this but I'm having a hard time making it happen. I created the second taxonomy (Product parent categories) as what would be taxonomy A. I updated all of the products to use both taxonomies.

I updated the view named "Products Display - Main Category - Shortcode" and set it to display via a shortcode based on the Product parent category. I inserted this new shortcode into the Contact page, but it's still not working.

I'm sorry I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Josh,

I'm not sure if you were able to resolve this but in taking a look I was able to see that this is working fine.

Your view is only displaying Items for guys and when I change it to girls, only items for girls are showing.

It could be that i'm misunderstanding.

Thanks,
Shane

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 10.32.18 AM.png

Hi Shane,

Displaying a category by defining it in the shortcode has always worked, as it works now. What has never worked is filtering based on the categories you see displayed on the page. In this case, on the Contact page, I'm defining the category as "guys" in the shortcode and it is displaying only products within the category of "Guys," but, if I now click on "T Shirts" from the options at the top of the page (see screenshot) it doesn't further filter the displayed results to only show the (2) T Shirts. It keeps showing all of the results.

This is the thing that has never worked for me and still is not working.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Josh,

It was working yesterday, however I took another look and saw that one of the query filters was missing.

It should now work correctly.

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

You did it! I know that was a long process but I'm very grateful for your patience and your help. I see now what you did and that makes total sense.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.