Skip Navigation

[Resolved] usage on many sites of a multi-site

This support ticket is created 7 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 6 years, 12 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Is there an easy way to store Views and Content Templates in one single location on a multi-site, whereas then a large number of sites on a Multi-Site can access/call those Views and Content Templates? I currently have over 35 of these on each site. When I need to change/edit these (which seems quite often), it is a very lengthy process to cut/paste so many within hundreds of sites. Maybe there’s a simple add-on, plugin or template that will work to store these Views and Content Templates so that I can change/edit any of these in just one single location and will propagate to all other sites somehow?? Unfortunate too, I'm not a coder. THANKS.

No, Toolset needs to be used on a Single-Site basis, which means easch SubSite needs his content and Templates.

This is because the posts are not shared in a Multisite and Views, Content Templates and other contents of Toolset are either normal Posts or Fields.
Those Tables are unique on each site, by WordPress design.

I was looking to see if the 'structure' of toolset can be duplicated across many sites. While true that each site of multi-site is unique; and while we could import/export struture to each site ... when making changes it becomes extrememly time consuming to have to edit each site, each Type component, and each View component individually. I thought a master plugin would work wonderfully. I see many similar questions herein as well. Thanks.

It is not possible at the moment.
Our Developers are working on some features that will go into that direction, but it will never work as you elaborate above, as this is simply not possible in WordPress, since many things are stored on a per-site basis and criss-crossing them will simply slow your DataBase down.

I added your voice to the Issue Tracker where we track similar requests.
But for now I can not provide any solution.

We reviewed this again and we don't any more support this.

It's because we have deprecated embedded mode of our Toolset plugins in favour of new installer.

Again, even we don't see a need to put this on the network option because:

1. Our toolset plugins even though can be network activated, its settings is site specific.
We treat each child sites uniquely (after all this is what a multisite is for, having one WP installation but different subsites each having unique characteristics).

2. If there is a need for Toolset settings to be same with all child sites, it implies a WebDeveloper is most likely interested to start with the same or similar designs for each subsite.
You can simply clone the site using multisite clone duplicator (https://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-clone-duplicator/ ).

This should solve all the settings issue. And this will clone one subsite to other sites automatically within network menu.

I hope that clarifies everything, let me know if there is anything that is not clear 🙂

I understand and agree with what you are saying using your example. I'm not explaining very well. Perhaps this is more towards your idea of integrating with Toolset with a Theme.

If in a single multisite there is a template, fields, post types, and a view that displays info on cars for a auto dealer.
(i.e. picture of car, make, model, color)

Using your suggestion, a site clone can be used to create a thousand different sites within the multisite ... but each would have the same data whereas each auto dealer would have different cars.

So, if using the Toolset import/export abilities to copy the templates and views would work much better to create new sites for new dealers w/o including the data. Great.

My question/problem is when there are hundreds of sites and we now want to collect and view more info on the cars.
(i.e. mileage, year of car, engine size)

We'd like to have Toolset have the ability to put some items into the Theme, such that we can change ONE master structure, post type, view so that it migrates automatically to all thousand sites, such that the site users can see, fill in the data, and it will display ... without us having to go into 1000 different sites and change the structure individually.

I understand your goal, but this will not be implemented, I apologise.

The Idea of a multisite is usually to have different content and structure on each usbsite.
This is why we will not add the feature.

Your goal can be achieved, by building a Toolset Theme as you mention, but it will not automatically be ported to the other subsites, you will need to push an update, and Theme's will not hold contentn itself but only the structure.

As far the structure concerns, this is possible, by pushing the update to your theme and then updating the theme on each subsite.

No need to apologize at all, Beda. I know people use websites and toolset for many different things. Our usage on this particular multisite is not in the 'norm' and makes perfect sense why not a standard feature.

Your suggestion of using a theme however, is spot on.

Your goal can be achieved, by building a Toolset Theme as you mention, but it will not automatically be ported to the other subsites, you will need to push an update, and Theme's will not hold content itself but only the structure.

That's all good - perfect - great!
How can a toolset theme be built?
Can it merge into our existing WP theme - or work together with it (Thesis 1.x)?

You can create Toolset Based Themes according to this DOC:
https://toolset.com/home/toolset-for-theme-authors/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-build-toolset-based-themes/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-customize-toolset-based-themes/

You can merge it to your existing Theme, but bare in mind you will change its code to actually build the Structure with Toolset.
It's probably easier to create your own Theme - although it is, of course, possible to integrate and deliver a Child Theme of your Theme, but you need to keep in mind that if you use the Child Theme of a paid 3rd party Theme, you may not be allowed to sell that, and also, if they push updates, that will affect your theme.

So building your own is the best approach.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.