Skip Navigation

[Resolved] URGENT!!! – Google Maps Charging Large Sum of Money For Usage…

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
How to minimize the Google Map requests to minimize the API cost

Solution:
You should make sure you are using latest Toolset maps plugin and check if the button "Convert Cache" available on the following admin page if the button "Convert Cache" available please click on it that may help you to reduce the Google MAP API requests:
=> https://www.your-domain.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=toolset-debug-information

You can find the proposed solution in this case with the following reply:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/urgent-google-maps-charging-large-sum-of-money-for-usage/#post-1518439

Relevant Documentation:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/maps/display-on-google-maps/

This support ticket is created 4 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Minesh 4 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author
toolsetmaps.JPG
gmaps.png

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Not be charged $600 by Google...

Is there any documentation that you are following?
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/maps/data-caching-for-google-maps-addresses/

Is there a similar example that we can see?
No.

What is the link to your site?
PLEASE MAKE PRIVATE -

ddaudio.com
Web server: Apache/2.4.41 (cPanel) OpenSSL/1.1.1d mod_bwlimited/1.4 (Linux webhost02.ddaudio.net 3.10.0-693.21.1.el7 64-bit #1 SMP Wed Mar 7 19:03:37 UTC 2018)
Table prefix: dd2020_
Web-server disk space in use by UpdraftPlus: 2.6 MB refresh
Peak memory usage: 36 MB
Current memory usage: 36 MB
Memory limit: 256M
PHP version: 7.2.27 - show PHP information (phpinfo)
MySQL version: 5.7.29
Curl version: 7.67.0 / SSL: OpenSSL/1.1.1d / libz: 1.2.7
OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 1.1.1d 10 Sep 2019

googleusage.png
googlecost.png

More pics. Also, just for reference, this was never an issue with our previous map/locator plugin (Cardinal Locator) that Toolset replaced, so the usage should be very similar, which makes me think there is a cache issue that we are not seeing.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

There is nothing much we can do as the Google MAP API limit is set by the google.

However - we are having a keen interest to look at the issue and double-check that Toolset Map Address caching working as expected and for that I will require admin access details.

In addition to that - I would also like to know what are the pages that is using the maps? Can you please share link of those?

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

I checked on your install and you should click on the button "Convert Cache" button so it will help you to boost the performance.
=> hidden link

However - it will not help you to minimize the number of hits.

So - we checked and we do not see any issues. So the suggestions are:
- You can use marker clustering to maximize the performance
- To minimize the chance of google API hits:
-- I can the page hidden link is publically available with distance search [Enter a location] using which the number of hits will be maximized, so to minimize it, you might consider offering that page to logged-in users only OR Use a captcha to prevent bots OR You may consider using Azure API, which is a cheaper option.

It's not a good idea at all to offer something publically that's connected to a paid API because anyone can write a bot that hits your page, and in no time, your billing with google will be doubled.

I strongly suggest putting your "find-a-dealer" page behind the bars or if you have that much traffic on your site and the Google API hits are expected there is nothing much we can do here.

I'm not thrilled with this response, but I did find it ultimately helpful.

A few notes:
"you should click on the button "Convert Cache" button so it will help you to boost the performance"

This needs to be made explicit in the documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/maps/data-caching-for-google-maps-addresses/

I never would have thought to check the debug section for this and unless I'm completely oblivious (and I'm totally open to that possibility) this button is crucial to the address caching outlined in that documentation ...and it's absolutely buried! I strongly recommend you reconsider how that is conveyed.

The other solutions that were offered just aren't practical...

* Clustering - not a bad suggestion, just not for us.

* Block "Guest" Users - absolutely unhelpful to our industry and probably most others that want to inform potential customers about business locations. This creates a major obstacle that visitors should not have to overcome for basic information.

* Captcha - I totally agree IF the captcha being used is reCAPTCHA v3, making it seamless in the UX. It doesn't interrupt the user or force them to interact.

PLEASE consider prioritizing the addition of reCAPTCHA v3 to Toolset views and forms.

* Azure - yes, we considered this, but it appears to be extremely limited on features currently available, to such extent that it's not a valid replacement in this particular view. I could see it being used in other areas, such as content templates, so I can appreciate the suggestion, but until it works as well as Google in all of Toolset it's not terribly useful for us.

Again, my issue appears to be solved, as the forecasted google api cost dropped over $400 dollars after clicking the "covert cache" button, so I believe that was the key factor.

I thank you for your time and ask that you strongly consider the feedback I've left here.

Minesh
Supporter

Thank you for your valuable inputs.

I agree with you what you said and I strongly suggest that you should file a feature request to add a reCAPTCHA v3 to views having distance search using the following link - that will allow you to raise your voice in front of our product manager.
=> https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset/

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.