Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Updating modules across sub sites

This support ticket is created 4 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 4 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I have a MultiSite setup and am replicating sites with very similar functionality for a range of clients. Each has a different URL.

I understand the concept of creating a Module, but I'm wondering what happens when I want to update that module.

Example:

I create a Post Type on Site Alpha that has fields a, b, and c.

I want to reuse the Post Type on Site Beta so I create a Module on Alpha and import it into Site Beta.

After a month I identify a that I need fields e, f and g on Site Alpha so I add them.

How do I get those new fields onto Site Beta? Can I update the Module? Can I create a new one?

Am I going about this the wrong way? Is there some other way to filter content from a 'main' site into a subsite?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Hi, yes you can update a module in the original site then export that updated module and import it again into the subsites. To update a module, go to Toolset > Module Manager and open the module on the right side of the screen. If you added fields to an existing field group, then you don't have to drag any new content into the module. Those fields will be exported with the field group. If you added a new field group, you should drag that field group into the Module editor. Then export the module file and import it using Toolset > Export / Import in the subsite(s).

That's the most straightforward way to get the structure of a site updated across several subsites. Let me know if you have questions about that.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.