Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Updating failed. Error message: The response is not a valid JSON response.

This support ticket is created 4 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 3 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author
Error.jpg

I am trying to: Save a view using the block editor

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:hidden link

I expected to see: I expected the view to update

Instead, I got: I received this error and it will not update. (Updating failed. Error message: The response is not a valid JSON response.) We updated to the latest version and the views quit working with the Block editor.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Yes - I can see the issue with the problem URL you shared.

May I ask you to run a few basic debug steps:
Could you please try to resolve your issue by deactivating all third-party plugins as well as the default theme to check for any possible conflicts with any of the plugins or themes? - Do you see any difference?

I isolated that the error occurs when "woocommerce" plug in is active.

Minesh
Supporter

I just checked on my local test install and I do not able to reproduce this issue.

Can you please send me a duplicator copy of your install so I can troubleshoot further.

More info:
=> https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

I see you shared admin access details. Actually, I need a duplicator package of the site.

Can you please send me a duplicator copy of your install so I can troubleshoot further.

More info:
=> https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

Ok - Thank you for sharing the duplicator link but the link you shared do not contain the proper duplicator package as its broken so I logged in to your site and downloaded the duplicator package from there.

it does not look like the WooCommerce plugin is causing the issue. I checked deeper and I found that if I deactivate the plugin "ARMember Lite" - the template you shared get updated successfully without any issue.
=> hidden link

Is the plugin "ARMember Lite" is the required plugin for you? If no, you can simply deactivate it, otherwise, I will report this issue to our compatibility team and but this does not look the issue is at our end but still, I will report it once you give me confirmation.

The goal of the website is to create a membership website where the customer can belong to more than one membership at a time. For example the can be a member and a volunteer. I have purchased the full version of the ARMember plugin and plan to use it for the website when I reach that point in the development. I don't want invest a lot time building in Toolset if other critical plugins are not compatible. I really like Toolset so if they can recommend another Membership plugin that is compatible I would consider going that direction.

Minesh
Supporter

I understand the frustration you are having at the moment.

I dig a bit deeper and I found following findings:
- if you deactivate only WooCommerce (Before you deactivate Woocommerce you need to deactivate first all FooEvent related plugins) , "ARMember Lite" plugin the post gets updated successfully.
- If you activate WooCommerce and deactivate "ARMember Lite" plugin, the post gets updated successfully.
- The issue only happens with both "ARMember Lite" + WooCommerce plugins are active.

Regarding membership site:
- we offer membership site tutorial if that may help you:
=> https://toolset.com/learn/create-membership-site-wordpress-using-toolset-plugins/

Even you can check the following membership reference site on our free test platform discover-wp.com;
=> https://discover-wp.com/site-types/membership-layouts/

However - it looks like compatibility issue and I will report it to our next level support and get in touch with you as soon as possible.

Snímka.JPG

I have same problem but without woocommerce. Toolset is installed on fresh wordpress. I have enabled only toolset plugins and i try to choose default wordpress theme. Same error when save.

Minesh
Supporter

@jeffs-20:

Our next level support debug this issue further and they found the following PHP fatal error coming from the theme file:

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to a member function get_cart_contents_count() on null in  wp-content\themes\oceanwp\inc\woocommerce\woocommerce-helpers.php:58
Stack trace:
#0  wp-content\themes\oceanwp\inc\woocommerce\woocommerce-config.php(1920): oceanwp_wcmenucart_menu_item()
#1  wp-content\themes\oceanwp\inc\woocommerce\woocommerce-config.php(1866): OceanWP_WooCommerce_Config::get_cart_icon()
#2  wp-includes\class-wp-hook.php(288): OceanWP_WooCommerce_Config->menu_cart_icon('<li id="menu-it...', Object(stdClass))
#3  \wp-includes\plugin.php(206): WP_Hook->apply_filters('<li id="menu-it...', Array)
#4  \wp-includes\nav-menu-template.php(247): apply_filters('wp_nav_menu_ite...', '<li id="menu-it...', Object(stdClass))
#5  wp-content\themes\oceanwp\partials\header\nav.php(155): wp in  \wp-content\themes\oceanwp\inc\woocommerce\woocommerce-helpers.php on line 58

The thing is that we get this error with Views/Blocks deactivated and even when loading the admin dashboard. I'm afraid, there is nothing much we can do here as the errors also are thrown when Views/Blocks deactivated.

The content template is saved using the AJAX callbacks and we expect a JSON object to be returned. if the server throws an error while the AJAx request being processed it eventually breaks the JSON response structure. We always expect a clean JSON object to be returned.

If there is anyway you can write an error trap in your code please let me know.

file.jpg

Hello i am having the same issue,

This is the message I keep getting: Updating failed. The response is not a valid JSON response.

I have oceanwp theme running and using elementor pro plugin running too.

please help

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

@shapeways please open a new support thread, this thread is closed.

A supporter will be able to help you, and may need to get access to your site, and you'll need a separate forum thread for that.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.