Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Importing related posts with Ultimate CSV Importer plugin not working

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Client is importing related posts using the Ultimate CSV Importer plugin according to our documentation, but the relationships are not being saved.

Solution:
There was an issue with the Ultimate CSV Importer plugin which did not work with custom table prefixes (instead of 'wp_'), which they have resolved.

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/errata/posts-are-not-connected-when-using-the-wp-ultimate-csv-importer-pro-plugin/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-import-content-into-wordpress-using-csv/import-csv-ultimate-csv-importer-plugin/how-to-import-posts-from-csv-files-and-maintain-relationships-when-using-the-csv-importer-plugin/

This support ticket is created 5 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by tylerG 5 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I have been using the process from this blog post (https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-import-content-into-wordpress-using-csv/import-csv-ultimate-csv-importer-plugin/how-to-import-posts-from-csv-files-and-maintain-relationships-when-using-the-csv-importer-plugin/) to update the Officials post type to include the relationships with the Townships post type.

I created a video to show the process I used and include the details to help troubleshoot: hidden link

Let me know if you need any other info! Thank you!

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Tyler

I haven't used the ultimate csv importer plugin itself for this, so I'll need to go through the steps myself and see if I can spot what the problem may be.

I could set up a test site but that might just confirm it works on my test site and not help with your own site, so could I get a copy of your site and of the CSV file you are trying to import so I'm working with the same materials?

hidden link

Let me mark your next reply as private for if that's okay.

Nigel
Supporter

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 12.41.22.png

Hi Tyler

When I visit the wp-admin page of your sandbox site I can't log-in (after trying I see what's in the screenshot).

Can you see if some settings need updating to allow me access?

Nigel, I'm guessing the password gate was still cached. Could you give it another try? Make sure to use the full url: hidden link

Nigel
Supporter

Doesn't help 🙁

After entering credentials on the login page I'm redirected to what you see in the screenshot.

Got it sorted! It was a redirect plugin creating an issue. Let me know if you hit any other snags!

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Tyler

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, our numbers are depleted with a couple of vacations and the queue has been extremely busy.

I've successfully logged in now, and I've taken a copy of your site to install locally, if I need to add anything to check what's happening in the logs or start over I'll be able to work more quickly that way.

I'm installing that now and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Tyler

I tested this with the local copy of your site and the csv file and I can confirm that it didn't work, and I couldn't see anything you were doing wrong. Following the docs, it doesn't appear to work.

I've passed your site on to my colleagues who can spend more time debugging this to try and identify what the issue is, and I'll let you know what their feedback is.

All I can say for now is that we have instructions on how to import related posts using a generic CSV import plugin which should work for any plugin that can import custom fields (they don't have to be Types custom fields). The second stage of the import is built into Types itself.

You might want to try that and see if you have better results: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/importing-content-from-csv-with-post-relationships/

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Tyler

We identified the problem, which is that there is a flaw in the import plugin code, namely it doesn't work with custom table prefixes (i.e. anything other than wp_).

We have forwarded that info on to them, it will need an update on their part to fix.

If you need to get this to work before they publish such a fix you would need to change your database tables to use the standard wp_ prefix.

Nigel, thanks for the insight! I'll follow up with the SmackCoders team to see if I can find a solution.

Hi Tyler,

This is to notify you that the developers from Smackcoders (Ultimate CSV Importer PRO) have fixed the issue with db prefix and they plan the release on Tuesday along with Toolset Repeater Field Import release.

Please Smackcoders them at support@smackcoders.com and they will give you the package with the fix.

Thanks.

Sorry for the spam,

Here is the official Errata page from our side:
https://toolset.com/errata/posts-are-not-connected-when-using-the-wp-ultimate-csv-importer-pro-plugin/

Thanks

Thanks for the follow-up! The SmackCoders team already sent me the updated plugin and it worked great with Toolset relationships!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.