Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Update broke compatibility with PlugIn "Nested Pages"

This support ticket is created 7 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 7 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
NoLayoutsAssignedToPosts.JPG
PluginNestedPages.JPG

Since the last Toolset and Layouts-Update, sorting my pages with the plugin "Nested Pages" brakes all my Layouts. Here's the plugins site: hidden link

On most of my sites I'm using this plugin for better organizing my pages. With it I can fold and open up parent pages with their children. And it's possible to reorder all pages by drag&drop.

Till your last update all of this worked nicely. Now, if I reorder my pages (with nested pages), it breaks the assignment of my layouts. All my layouts, which were assigned to a specific post or page, are showing up in the section "layouts which are not used anywhere".

That's really frustrating, because all of my clients are used to the behavior of the nested-pages-plugin. And if they reorder their pages, they are getting blank pages as a result (cause no layout is assigned to the page anymore). Can you please give me a hint to get this work again? Or suggest a plugin, that is compatible and does the same trick?

Thanks! Diana

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hi Diana

I have done some testing myself using the plugin and can confirm the issue you have reported, that pages with layouts assigned are reverting to default after they have been re-organised using the Nested Pages plugin.

I have escalated this thread so our developers can investigate further, but I can't give you any estimates as to how long it might take for them to identify and resolve the problem, I'm afraid, but I will keep you updated as soon as I have any feedback from them.

Thanks Nigel,
for your quick response. Please keep me updated. Perhaps your developers can give me a workaround to get this work again. In the meanwhile I will not update your plugins on my other clients sites …

Hi Nigel!
Any news to this?

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Diana

I have checked on the progress and it is still being investigated, I'm afraid, the precise source of the conflict has not yet been identified.

I have nudged my colleagues to make sure they continue to work on it, all will let you know as soon as I have any feedback.

Thanks for your patience.

Hi Nigel!

I'm afraid there is a second issue, which relates to that topic: For drag-and-drop-ordering of my custom post types I used the plugin "Post Types Order" (hidden link). I seem to remember that I found this plugin on a thread here in this support-forum. And it worked great for reordering my custom-post-types, which where created by Toolset Types. But since the last update, there is an issue with this plugin, too:

It's still possible to reorder the cpt in the admins ctp-archive-list-view by drag&drop (when this is set in the settings-page of Post Types Order). The reordering is submitted to the database and the frontend-view does show the correct new ordering. But after refreshing the admins list view page, the ordering falls back to the standard-wp-ordering (even though I set the mark for this in the settings-page of Post Types Order).

So to be clear: The Plugin works, but the admin-view doesn't show the new sorting.

I disabled all the other plugins except of Toolset Types and Post Types Order (I disabled views and layouts and cred, too), but this strange behavior appears even then. So I assume, it's a bug in Toolset Types. Probably the same, which causes my Nested Pages Plugin to fail.

Hopefully this helps your developer-team to investigate further.
Best regards, Diana

Hmmm ... Next issue with Layouts, that could relate to the the same source of problem. If the Layout is assigned to only one page and you are editing this page by switching from wysiwyg-mode to text-mode and back, then saving the post again > Sometimes (not always) the Layout reverts to the default, too and no page is assigned to it. That happened to me now more than once in the last hour. I have to reassign the post to the layout again and again. That's really annoying ...

And because that's a similar problem than the problem with the Nested-Pages-Plugin, I assume the same source ...

for me that doesn't make Layouts a fun tool anymore. Please for help!

Ah, and another strange thing in Layouts is, that the tab in the window that opens, when assigning a Layout to a post, which should show the latest pages, doesn't change. There are old pages in this tab-window. Not the newest ...

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Diana

I'm reviewing escalated threads that haven't been closed and I notice this thread is outstanding, apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

After examining this problem our second tier concluded that the issue is with the Nested Pages plugin, and you will need to contact the plugin author about the problem.

Here are the details of what was reported back to me:

– We save the layouts template for the page in a post meta with the key "_layouts_template"
– When the user reorders the pages, the nested pages plugin resets this meta from the previously selected value to "single-page"
– This happens in the nested pages plugin code in file \wp-content\plugins\wp-nested-pages\app\Entities\Post\PostUpdateRepository.php at line 49 which is

wp_update_post(array(
                'ID' => sanitize_text_field($post['id']),
                'menu_order' => $key,
                'post_parent' => $parent
            ));
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.