Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Export and Import content and data

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem

How can we export and import things we created with Toolset, inclusive the content?

Solution

Toolset provides export/import mechanisms for its data structure.

This means you can handle the Post Types, Fields, Forms and so on, but not the content created (post content, terms, titles of posts...)

You can export and import Toolset Structure either with "Import/Export" menu under Toolset or with the Toolset Module Manager Plugin.

Content Itself can be exported and imported with the native WordPress Import/Export Plugin which can be used in Dashboard Tools > Import/Export

This support ticket is created 6 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 6 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author
Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 12.21.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 12.21.54 AM.png

I am trying to: Import data (same files I exported with toolset)

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see: imported files

Instead, I got: see images I uploaded

Hi- I have some pretty dense flat custom taxonomies, so I wanted to make sure they were preserved, so I exported those files. But then when i tested re-importing them, I got error messages shown on the screenshots.

Also- it appears that the taxonomy exports only save your settings for a given taxonomy...not the actual category values, which is what I was looking for. Same is true when you duplicate a custom taxonomy. It doesn't duplicate the categories, just the settings.

So...I suppose two things. 1) The import issue and 2) How can I export and duplicate a custom taxonomy's categories?

thank you!

Well, those exports are not intended to be content exporters but structure exporters.

Like, you create a Post Type, it'll not export all posts in that type, but the type.
The posts are exported with WordPress Tools, not with Toolset.

The same is valid for taxonomies.
Terms are not part of the structure. They are "content".

Hence the export won't include the terms, or field values, for example, but only the structure.

The export/import process works smoothly locally.
Hence this must be some exception.

Please, can you send me a copy of your site so I can analyse why the experts are wrong?
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.