Skip Navigation

[Closed] Types & Views for Directory?

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 11 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Amir 11 years, 11 months ago.

Author

Tyy

Hello,

I'm looking for a solution to a directory that I am building within my website and I think your plugin might be what I'm looking for, but I need to get some clarity on this before buying. This directory will serve 4 different locations at this time and will have 7 main categories with 5 to 20 subcategories. If I am understanding all of this correctly, this is how I should set it up:

Directory - Custom Post Type
- Locations - main taxonomy
- City1 - child taxonomy
- City2 - child taxonomy
- City3 - child taxonomy
- City4 - child taxonomy

- Restaurants & Food - main taxonomy
- American - child taxonomy
- Mexican - child taxonomy
- Chinese - child taxonomy
etc, etc, etc...

- Professional Services - main taxonomy
- Attorney - child taxonomy
- Accountant - child taxonomy
etc, etc, etc...

Ok, we will have around 7 or 8 of the main taxonomies and then 5 to 20 child taxonomies. My first question is, is this the proper way to set this up? The second question I have and the most trouble I am having right now is how to pull the proper data into my pages?

I have a menu on my homepage that lists out the four cities we will be setting up. There is a drop down under each city with the list of main taxonomies. We need it so that when someone hovers over a particular city and then clicks on a main taxonomy for that city they will be taken to a page that will list out the 5 to 20 child taxonomies. From there, they would chose the category/child taxonomy they want to go to and then a list of 4 to 6 businesses in that category will be pulled up. We will create a page for each of these businesses that a client can visit if they click on that business.

What I am hoping is that your plugin here will help me easily accomplish this task. I need to make sure that when a city is selected it only brings up the businesses for the categories under that city/location.

Can this be done easily using this plugin? I know very little about php and I tried to figure this out going straight coding and I got the custom types and taxonomies set-up, but can't for the life of me figure out how to get my pages to pull in correctly. I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me with this and if your plugin is the answer to my problems, then I will be buying it asap.

Thanks!
Tyy

Amir
Supporter

We have two tutorials that take you through very similar sites:
Classified - https://toolset.com/learn/wordpress-classifieds-site/
Magazine - https://toolset.com/learn/create-a-wordpress-magazine-theme/

Both use nested Views. The external View goes through the top-level taxonomy and the internal View displays the posts that belong to it (in the magazine example) or the sub-categories (in the classifieds site).

The only thing that's missing right now is a way to let visitors filter content dynamically. We're working on it for Views 1.1. When ready (in 2-3 weeks), you'll also be able to display a search form that lets visitors look for content and specify search criteria, without having to drill-down into categories.

Does this help?

The topic ‘[Closed] Types & Views for Directory?’ is closed to new replies.