Thing is we've changed the way you define some description or title to new kind of fields. You can't define it through PHP code anymore, but only through Types edit page, when assigning the custom field to the post type. Defining description and title through PHP code is no longer supported.
We didn't remove any functionality, we just changed the way you define the description and title of a new kind of field. You still can give your own title and description, but only through default Types GUI. I'm sorry about any inconvenience it may cause.
Please let me know if you are satisfied with my reply and any other questions you may have.
So after a month of delays all I'm getting is a "I'm sorry about the inconvenience"? Well, I'm most certainly not 'satisfied' with your reply.
This is distinctly a change in functionality seeing as you previously supported changing the whole markup of a custom field, which you documented in your own sample code, and this is no longer possible. Am I to understand that it is now impossible to add custom field types (with custom rendered edit interfaces) to Toolset using the API? In this case, what is the purpose of the API?
All in all, I'm extremely disappointed with the support I've received on this issue. I'm even more disappointed that your development team would make such sweeping changes to a documented core mechanic without considering the ramifications on your users. At the very least the changes should have been backward compatible.
If you are going to leave your users in positions like this, the least you could do is put in a few minutes of your time to recommend alternative solutions to the problems.
I'm sorry about that and thank you for your feedback, for sure it'll help us to improve something on our side. Unfortunately this thread wasn't escalated on the right time, it won't happens again, we are working on this right now.
What I can say is that I have like a "fight" with our Types development team trying to provide you a workaround. Unfortunately that wasn't possible and I couldn't solve your issue, we failed.
We always try to provide an unusual support to our clients, sometimes we put our hands to code something only to provide a concrete solution.
That round we failed, but you can expect a better support next time.