Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Two custom fields in one dropdown filter at the same time

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

The issue here is that the user wants to combine 2 separate custom fields into one filter for a search.

Solution:
Unfortunately no you won't be able combine 2 different custom fields into 1 for a search as they will need to be queried as separate meta queries in the database.

Because of this if the fields are combined as one filter then you won't be able to do it.

This support ticket is created 3 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by katjaS-3 3 years ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Hi,
For a custom post type (books) I have two custom fields the book authors firstname and lastname.

For a view I have to set a filter as a drop down that is containing the lastnames only. But I would like to show "lastname, firstname". Any idea how to realize this?

URS
Frank

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Frank,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Unfortunately no you won't be able combine 2 different custom fields into 1 for a search as they will need to be queried as separate meta queries in the database.

Because of this if the fields are combined as one filter then you won't be able to do it.

Please let me know if this clarifies the issue for you.

Thanks,
Shane

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.