Skip Navigation

[Resolved] TTFB increases with Toolset plugins

This support ticket is created 2 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 2 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

I am using the Avada theme with Ionos' expert hosting package with performance level 4.

When I turn off all plugins except Wordfence and WP Optimise, I get TTFB of about 700ms-1.2s.

When I enable Toolset plugins (layouts and others), I get a TTFB of around 4-5 seconds.

Of course, when I add more plugins, TTFB goes up further and I have plans to remove some plugins, but I really need Toolset! Could there be some reason why Toolset adds so much TTFB?

Thanks

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Nick,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

As you noted, it is natural that the TTFB value increases with the number of plugins in use, however, 4-5 seconds does seem a lot.

Can you please share temporary admin login details for a website, where this can be seen? We'll be in a better position to suggest the next steps accordingly.

Note: Your next reply will be private and please make a complete backup copy, before sharing the access details.

regards,
Waqar

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Thank you for sharing the admin access.

Reviewing the website and the number of Toolset components that it is using, it is expected that you see a major improvement in TTFB value when the Toolset plugins are not in use.

In summary, TTFB consists of:

1. Request to Server
2. Server Processing
3. Response to Client

As 1 and 3 are related to the communication aspect, for the sake of this discussion let's keep them constant and only focus on the "Server Processing" part.

The more features a website has, the more processing the server will need to do in the background. On your website, Toolset plugins are managing a large number of custom post types, custom field groups, front-end forms, content templates, and views, layouts, etc. This means that the most fundamental operations like data storage (Types), data presentation (Views, Maps, and Layouts), data submission (Forms), and data access (Access) are being controlled by Toolset plugins.

When you disable these Toolset and other third-party plugins, there is not much left for the server to process and you notice the lower TTFB values.

We're constantly working on the performance offered by Toolset plugins, but a careful balance needs to be maintained so that no compromises are made on the ease-of-use and flexibility side.

As a website manager, what you can do is limit the processing efforts of the server, for your front-end visitors, using cache and static content/resources optimization techniques. You'll find some good points in the following article, but use them only as a guideline as it may not always be possible to follow each and every recommendation:
hidden link

I hope this explanation helps.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.