Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Trying to pass variable to view

This support ticket is created 7 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 7 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

I am trying to: display a variable that I've passed to a view by shortcode

I followed the steps in this post: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/pass-variable-argument-to-a-view-to-query-filter-shortcode-of-a-2nd-view/

My function is:

add_shortcode('wpv-view-shortcode-attribute', 'wpv_view_shortcode_attribute');

function wpv_view_shortcode_attribute($atts) {
global $WP_Views;
$attributes = reset($WP_Views->view_shortcode_attributes);
return $attributes[$atts['attribute']];
}

I'm calling my second view from my first using:

[wpv-view name="items-for-market" wpvprchildof="[wpv-post-id id=$market]" this_promo_market='[wpv-post-title id=$market]']

In my "items-for-market" view, I'm attempting to simply display that variable using:

[wpv-view-shortcode-attribute attribute="this_promo_market"]

I have also tried displaying other shortcode variable using:

[wpv-view-shortcode-attribute attribute="wpvprchildof"]

I made sure to add my shortcode to the Views settings per the post above, but I cannot get any value to simply display.

Please help.

The other thread talks about passing a ShortCode argument to a View as a variable defined in a ShortCode.

Where do you pass the ShortCode in your View #2?
I do not see this in your code.

The Thread you link to is using a $variable to populate the ShortCode argument.

You use a static variable in the ShortCode argument.

Can you try top populate it with [your_shortcode_that_generates_the_variable]?

Thank you

Hi Beda. I should have made that clearer. View #1 is "market_for_sales_rep". View #2 is " items-for-market"

From view #1; market_for_sales_rep, I'm loading view #2 with [wpv-view name="items-for-market" wpvprchildof="[wpv-post-id id=$market]" this_promo_market='[wpv-post-title id=$market]']

I have assigned the variable 'this_promo-market' a value of '[wpv-post-title id=$market]' in the shortcode.

Then, in view #2, I'm attempting to display that variable with [wpv-view-shortcode-attribute attribute="this_promo_market"] but its not displaying anything.

I even tried to use the same function to just display the value of the first variable being passed in the view shortcode; wpvprchildof="[wpv-post-id id=$market]", by using [wpv-view-shortcode-attribute attribute="wpvprchildof"], just to see if I could display a passed variable that appears to be working, and that did not display anything either.

I guess I'm trying to figure out some general way to reliably pass and use variables from view to view.

I will need to login to this site and see the setup life if possible.

Meanwhile can you also try:

[wpv-attribute name="this_promo_market"]

If that doesn't work, I would need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site
- preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible -
in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website ❌

✙ I would, if possible, need access to a site where only a minimal set of Plugins and a default theme is active.
This to avoid eventual compatibility issues with other software.

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de- and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site.
This is also a reason the backup is really important

✙ Please add the Links to:

- The Views Edit Screen

- The Page/Post where you insert the View

- The corresponding Front End Page/Screen

- Please add a detailed desctrpion along with the links, how things are supposed to work.

Thank you

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.