Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Trying to create virtual newsletter view

This support ticket is created 7 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 7 years ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I am trying to: Create a virtual newsletter page showing latest issue. Custom taxonomy called "Newsletter Issue" is assigned to posts. Terms would include specific issues (ie "Spring 2017") . The page would display a sidebar area showing list of all post titles with certain custom taxonomy term (ie "Spring 2017"), when a post is clicked, that single post is displayed in main content area.

I'm flummoxed on how to approach this.

I believe I'm trying to set up a custom taxonomy archive, but instead of listing all of the posts in the main content area, I want them to be listed in the sidebar.

Any advice to get me over my mental block? Thanks!

Hi! I'll be glad to help you get started on this. I think you are on the right track, but I'd like to clarify what a taxonomy archive is designed to do. By definition, a taxonomy archive does not show the contents of a post. It usually shows lists of related post links, which direct you to the single post page with all the post content.

With that in mind, I think what you're describing can be accomplished with a View filtered by taxonomy, embedded in your single post page. Let me explain the process. First, get your single post main content showing up. Then, you can create a new View. This View will show all Posts that are related to the taxonomy term of your choice. For example, you can show all "Spring 2017" Posts. In the Loop Output editor, you will include a post link for each post.

Then, you can embed the new View on your single post page using the wpv-view shortcode. You can place this in a sidebar, or anywhere else on the page. Once you have this approach working to show the related posts, I can help you modify it so that it's more dynamic - meaning that posts from Winter 2016 will show up in Winter 2016 sidebars and so forth. I can also help you highlight the current post, or remove it from the list. Please let me know if you are able to get to this point, or if you need further assistance and I'll be glad to help.

Christian - Thank you so much for helping me think through this! I got swept into a different issue temporarily, but will be back on this next - hopefully in the next day or so.

In thinking about your suggestion that the single-post template is altered, I also need to be able to retain the ability to display posts normally. So, I need the ability to display specific posts with a certain custom taxonomy in a second, different way.

Do you think that is still possible?

So if I understand you correctly, you have multiple posts of the same post type. You have multiple taxonomies, and terms from these multiple taxonomies may be associated with posts. You would like to display some posts differently depending on which terms are associated with them, correct?

Sure, this is possible. We can add some conditional HTML that will show or hide specific portions of your single post page depending on taxonomy terms. You could build two completely different designs, and use conditional HTML to turn them "on" or "off" depending on terms. Here's another post that discusses this approach:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/asd/#post-333161

Let me know when you're ready to continue. This ticket will stay open for 30 days after your last update unless you close it out earlier.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.