Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Trouble Using Standard User Roles & Capabilities to Manage Custom Post Types

This support ticket is created 6 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by chuckH 6 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

BACKGROUND/OVERVIEW:
I am using custom user roles and capabilities. I am familiar with the post below:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/you-do-not-have-rights-to-create-new-items-when-creating-new-many-to-many/

I considered using Access, but it was not robust or flexible enough for my particular needs. Instead, I am using User Role Editor to manage permissions.

PROBLEM:
Users receive the message below when attempting to manage many-to-many relationships:
"You do not have rights to create new items"

FOR TROUBLESHOOTING:
I provided you with access to our staging site.

All of our many-to-many relationships are effected, but you can begin with this one:

course-sections < teaching-assignments > instructors

Where, teaching-assignments is the intermediate table. When attempting to edit a course-section, and then add a new teaching assignment, that's when the warning message ("You do not have rights to create new items") occurs.

For troubleshooting the issue with many-to-many relationship, the user role to use is:
Course Admin (course-admin)

That user role has been configured with the necessary capabilities.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Chuck,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

I tried taking a look at the issue but it seems that the password that you provided didnt work.

Could you try it and let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane, I do not recall the password. Please let me know how to securely share a new password pair with you.

BY THE WAY...
It's possible to create many-to-many relationships when directly editing the intermediate post type (in this case... "teaching assignments").

However, when I attempt to create the same many-to-many relationship from within either of the parent post types (in this case... course sections, people), I get the warning message ("You do not have rights to create new items").

Shane
Supporter

Hi Chuck,

It could be a permission issue. Could you try giving the default wordpress post type the same role as as the ones in the CPT

Also the private fields have been enabled again.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Chuck,

I've enabled the private fields again so that you can provide the credentials as the one in the first private field doesn't work.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Chuck,

I see and believe I know what the issue is. Your teaching Assignment CPT isn't publicly visible correct?

Try making it visible and let me know if the issue remains.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

I appreciate your help. Issue resolved. You may close the ticket.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.