Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Translate Terms of Taxonomy Created in Types as Strings (keep slug)?

This support ticket is created 7 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by George 7 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

Hey all,

Our multilingual site relies heavily on parent child relationships for CPTs, and WPML doesn't sync those across languages (even when duplicating), so we are not able to translate taxonomy terms because turning translations on for taxonomies would mean that we have to duplicate all posts in each language in order to view the translated terms/posts. I realize that when we go to WPML string translation, we can translate taxonomy and CPT names, which is good, but taxonomy terms do not show up in string translation, which would solve our situation. Is there any way we could enable the term names for custom taxonomies to be available for string translation?

One solution I came across was to add custom term fields to all terms and put the translation in there, but have no idea how to swap the default term name when the language is changed

Thank you!

Dear George,

I suggest you follow WPML document to translate custom taxonomy:
Translating Post Categories and Custom taxonomies
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-post-categories-and-custom-taxonomies/

And in wordpress, the terms in different language are using different term's IDs, so they can not use same term slug.

And I suggest you put this question into WPML forum to get more detailed help.

Hello,

Sorry, I figured out how to carry over post relationships, so I can duplicate everything now. It turns out that you have to enable "Show System Fields" in WPML translation management->Multilingual Content Setup in order to see and duplicate all of the _wpcf_belongs_CPT_id custom fields. Only then will post relationships carry over. (They really need this in their documentation)

Also, I learned that the slugs can be changed back to being the same as the default language by going into the categories page and editing the slug that way:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-make-custom-taxonomy-terms-translatable-as-strings-leave-slugs-alone/#post-973743

Thanks/谢谢!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.