Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Traditional membership website with a "member management" section in the admin

This support ticket is created 7 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Author

Hello,

I am slightly familiar with a number of other membership solutions. What I have seen is that many of these membership plugins have a "member management" section in the WordPress admin dashboard.

As an example, one membership plugin allows you to create "subscription levels" where a visitor can register for the website by choosing a level ... for simplicity, we'll have a free registration, and a paid registration.

The two levels are posted to the website. Let's say a user chooses the paid subscription.

The user clicks the paid level, and is taken through a checkout and registration process.

Once the user is registered, an admin can go into the WordPress admin dashboard, and browse all members within a "membership management" kind of section.

In this management section, maybe an admin can change a member's subscription level from a paid membership to a free membership. If the admin changes the member from paid to free, the billing is cancelled.

Maybe an admin can view how long a member has been subscribed.

Maybe an admin can give a member additional access, while keeping the membership level the same.

Do you see where I am going with this?

Currently, CRED adds a new user to the default "user" section of WordPress, however, there are many instances where the default doesn't quite work well, because there are many custom things associated with a member.

Can any or all of this be done? Is there a way to manage all of a member's information no matter what it is and when it is added to the website?

Thanks so much!

1. What I have seen is that many of these membership plugins have a "member management" section in the WordPress admin dashboard.

Toolset does create (with CRED) WordPress native Users, and those are listed in your Users list (WordPress default)

If you where to mirror the Users to a Custom Post Type, those would be listed on that Post Type list.
There is no such "Member management" and it's also not planned to drive Toolset in that direction, as we do stick to WordPress standards for compatibility reasons.

2. As an example, one membership plugin allows you to create "subscription levels" where a visitor can register for the website by choosing a level

This is possible if you present the new User with a List of links, each leading to one CRED Form that will set up the user as per the wished Role.
As exmaple you have a Form that creates "Editors" and one that creates "Auhtors", so you will link to them from a given page on your system with a Custom "a href" link to the Page where the specifc Form is inserted.

3. The two levels are posted to the website. Let's say a user chooses the paid subscription.
The user clicks the paid level, and is taken through a checkout and registration process.

This is possible by adding CRED Commerce and WooCommerce to your System and then following this Guide on how to charge payment with Forms:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/charging-payments-with-cred-to-register-users/

4. Once the user is registered, an admin can go into the WordPress admin dashboard, and browse all members within a "membership management" kind of section.

Again, this is only possible in the WordPress User List or, if the user is mirrored to a Custom Post type, in the Posts list

5. In this management section, maybe an admin can change a member's subscription level from a paid membership to a free membership. If the admin changes the member from paid to free, the billing is cancelled.

This is not possible without changing the Role in a User List, and then cancel a given WooCommerce Order that was created and paid during the process described above with CRED Commerce.

6. Maybe an admin can view how long a member has been subscribed.

This is not possible unless you add a User Custom Field that you add to the CRED form, and saves the current Date, or a Custom Date, when the User Form is submitted (user is created)

7. Maybe an admin can give a member additional access, while keeping the membership level the same.

This is only possible by cusomizing the User Role permissions with Access Plugin, or changing the User Role.
Again, this is because we follow WordPress features.

Toolset lets you add Users with the CRED Forms, but it's not a Memebership Plugin as you mention in the examples.

I will have to look through your response carefully, and see if I can create a solution around this that works for my particular needs.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks!

OK.

Thank you for eventual follow up.

Please feel free to open new tickets in case you need more help.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.