Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Toolset Packager – any options available?

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Kirill 5 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Shane.

Author

Dear support!

Right now Toolset Packager exports everything from Types, Views, Layouts, Posts, Attachments, and Settings. Is there any way to specify what exactly needs to be exported (up to specific items), instead of exporting everything that's on the site? There might be, let's say, a view on the development site that is not finished yet and I definitely don't want it to to be exported yet. Exporting posts and attachments is a good idea to transfer demo content for the initial theme install, but on later stages I would not want to copy all posts from development site to production. Is there any way to export only those items that are production-ready and not everything? Do we have any control on what's exported?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Kirill

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Kirill,

The idea of the Toolset Packager is to package ready to sell theme with content. You have to remove all temporary, not needed this before export.

There isn't a way to select what to export.

Thanks

Hi Shane,
thank you for your reply!

I understand, this works perfectly when someone creates a new theme for distribution. However, a majority of work I do are custom themes that are constantly updating according to my clients' needs. It's a continuous development process: when portion of changes is ready, they are pushed to production. What is not ready yet, will be siting in development until finished and tested and will be pushed on some later date.

What module would you advise to use in such situations? There is a module manager that is similar to Toolset Packager that it allows to copy changes from on site to another. Should I use it instead of Toolset Packager? Are you planing to develop Module Manager in the future so it will coexist with Toolset Packager (even though their functionality overlaps) or will Toolset Packager supersede the Module Manager? What technology should be used for what? What should I use in my situation?

Best regards,
Kirill

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Kirill,

You may use the Module manager to transfer components from your development site to your production environment as you are able to drag which of your completed toolset component into a module and then export that module.

These modules can then be imported into your production environment.

As we already have a Module Manager I do not suspect that there are any plans to have another to coexist with the Toolset Packager.

Please let me know if you were satisfied with my answer.
Thanks 🙂

Hi Shane!

Thank you for your information, that's all I wanted to know.