Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Toolset Messaging System: unable to read messages > 80 characters in length

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
We want to show more than 80 characters in the message when reading it.
The message here refers to the Messages we can send when using the "Toolset Messaging system".
Those display up to 80 characters only, it seems

Solution:
The Excerpt you see in the in-outbox cutting to 80 characters is defined with

[wpv-post-excerpt length="80" more="..." format="noautop"]

in the View Loop where all the messages are displayed. We can't know which one it is on your install, but you can find it by navigating to the issue page with all messages and then check the "Edit with Toolset" WordPress Admin Bar menu for "Edit View: {view name}"

That will be the view to edit and change the excerpt length of messages in the overview of all messages

The Excerpt you see in the actual single message cutting to 80 characters is displayed thru the view

[wpv-view name="Related messages" message="[types field='first-message-id' raw='true'][/types]"]

in the Content Template applied to single Messages. You can again find this Content Template with the same process as for finding the View.

That View

[wpv-view name="Related messages" message="[types field='first-message-id' raw='true'][/types]"]

, holds again the

This is what displays the message as you see it on the single post of the message.

You can amend that to fix it (for example use

[wpv-post-body view_template="None"]

instead)

This support ticket is created 4 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by simonM-5 4 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

I am trying to:
Use Toolset Messaging System to send and receive messages between parties on the website. When the user sends a message that exceeds 80 characters there is no view that allows the user receiving the message to view it in its entirity.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
By clicking on any message in a user's inbox >> this takes the user to Related messages View.

I expected to see:
The full text of the message sent by the user (when the user's message was over 80 characters.)

Instead, I got:
Only a short excerpt (80 chars) of the message.

- Clicking anywhere on the message doesn't link anywhere so the remainder of the message (from the 81st character onwards) cannot be viewed by the user.
-- I tried increasing the length of 80 to 1000 in the Loop Editor of Related messages View:

[wpv-post-excerpt length="1000" more="..." format="noautop"]

but without luck.

-- Also thought that the 3 dots after "more" may have been a Read More functionality, but that doesn't seem to open up anything either.

Thanks and regards
Simon

I see there is a

in that view, so if you are sure that is what you see when editing the 80 will indeed change the number of characters.
If it is not having any effect, then it is not what you see on the front end, logically. Or, some custom code applies to it.

Just below that except there is as well the whole post body:

So I doubt this is the view you see on the front end because you say, you cannot see the whole message, and that last shortcode is exactly the whole post body of the message.

I tried to find at least an example in the front end but I can't view messages - they all say "You cannot view this message."

Can you set up a precise example of the issue that I can see, and allow me as well to remove all non-Toolset things, if needed, from that template?
I see you designed it with third party builders which is not how the messaging system is delivered by Toolset.

To confirm an issue we'd have to make sure this happens with just Toolset, as is.

Thanks!

Hi Beda

I will set this up today and let you know logins etc.

Thanks and regards
SImon

I have re-activated a private reply area for you to submit these details safely.

Thanks!

Let's focus on one problem at a time and ticket.

The Excerpt you see in the in-outbox cutting to 80 characters is defined with

in the View Loop here hidden link

The Excerpt you see in the actual single message cutting to 80 characters is displayed thru the view

in the Content Template applied to single Messages here hidden link which is edited by Fusion Builder.

That View

, is edited here hidden link and holds again the

This is what displays the message as you see it on the single post of the message.

You can amend that to fix it (for example use

instead)

Does this help?

I suggest opening new tickets for any other issue, so the problems can be tacked one by one

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.