Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Toolset Layouts and Modern Tribe The Events Calendar integration ?

This support ticket is created 6 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 6 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Hello,
On May 14, 2017 at 8:47 am Beda announced "We decided to start an integration process." between Modern Tribe The Events Calendar and Toolset Layouts.
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/making-layouts-work-with-the-events-calendar/page/2/
I'd like to know what about it ; and if the integration process has not gone threw, what would be the best solution to make this work in the meanwhile ?
Thank you.

There will be no such integration process, as by now, Layouts is a Content Editor and not anymore a template editor, by default.

This means, when you activate Layouts on any theme, you can easily edit the content with it.

That makes the customization of the Events Calendars even more impossible than before, and as explained in the other thread, it is not a straight forward topic anyway, since the Events Plugin does not provide any form of ShortCodes or other things, with which you can split up the output and customize it.

When Layouts was an all-or-nothing proposition, if you used it you had to use it on every page.
You are not forced to use layouts everywhere now, so you can use Layouts on a site and leave Events Manager to render the single event and event archive pages.

If you want to create custom single event and event archive pages (much like you would create custom WC product and shop pages) then, you're right, you can't - but for this, we have obsoleted the plans to integrate.

So you can use the Event Manager on a site with Layouts, but you can't use Toolset to customise it.
(Presumably the plugin comes with some options for customising the output itself? Otherwise I would suggest to contact the Developers and ask for features to make this possible.)

The changes to Layouts mean this has gone from "you cannot use it at all when using Layouts" to "you can use it when using Layouts if using any theme but cannot use Toolset to customise the plugin output".

If I use any theme, I can customize my theme and render the events pages with proper layout set in theme options.
But with Layouts I can't customize anything and the events pages always render without the layout that would replace the theme. Am I right ?

With Layouts you cannot customize Events, and the Events posts should render without Layout, yes, that is correct.

This is a limitation that is not due to Toolset, but to the way how those Plugins render the contents.

It's the same with BuddyPress, as example.

Only custom code (which I think the user in the linked ticket provides at it's best) can solve these issues.

I understand there is a major conflict between layouts and the events calendar, and that only custom code could be a workaround. But that seems complicated and not very careful since updates of both the events calendar and layouts could break the code at any time...

I found out it's possible to build my own layouts thanks to "wpv-post-field", that gets the content of the the events calendar CPTs. That is also true with lat-lng coordinates, which allows to build custom maps.

So I would now like to completely get rid of the events calendar front end, not use it at all, and force the use of only toolset layouts.

But I don't even have a clue on how to do this. Would it be possible directly by the "functions.php" child theme ? Or maybe it would need to force editing the CPTs (can't see them in wp-types) ? Some edits elsewhere ?

Thank you very much.

After reading again the other post, I realize that it is the solution to what I am asking...

Nevertheless, I have replaced the content of the post by

<?php the_ddlayout( 'evenement' ); ?>

where "evenement" is my child layout's slug for "events" CPT. And it loads well the child and parent layouts, but it also loads a default toolset parent layout that I don't need and can't find where to disable.

Thank you.

You do not customize the output of an event with this.

What you do, is exactly what Layouts does already out of the box:

1. It replaces the_content() part with the things you design in a Layout. This requires no more Code, and does NOT customize the output of that plugin, as what will happen is simply that you will remove everything this plugin outputs - and are not able to display it in a Layout, as it provides not a single ShortCode to do so.

2. What you did basically now with PHP allows you to display a Layout, but the problem here is not that you can not display a Layout - this is easy. The problem is that within the Layout you cannot display a single thing of that Events Plugin, as they have no shortCodes you can use to display data of an event.

As a conclusion, you cannot style or edit an event with layouts.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.