Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Toolset is trying to get images from the old development domain

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The resized images on my site are pointing at the wrong domain after migrating from a development environment.

Solution: Use a robust migration tool like Duplicator to be sure all instances of the old domain are replaced in the database.

This support ticket is created 5 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 5 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
Image 710.png
Image 711.png

Hello,

We just launched a new website and toolset is trying to get images from the old domain.

I did a search and replace on the database but it did not fix this issue.

old domain: hidden link
new domain: dlstrainingen.nl

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Erwin,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

If you check the post on the backend, what is the url of the featured image as if its not the URL of the current domain then that is what our shortcode is pulling.

Thanks,
Shane

Image 712.png
Image 713.png

The URL on the backend is fine. See attached screenshots.

I fixed this issue temporary by changing the size to 'large' instead of full.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Erwin,

Are you using any cache on this site ? As it could be that caching is causing this.

If not then would you mind providing me with access to the site so that I can take a more detailed look for you ?

The private fields have been enabled.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Erwin,

It seems to be the size='full' causing this. I've set it to output the large size and its working now.

Thanks,
Shane

Yes, but every site we migrate to a new domain has this issue.

What if I want to use the "full" image resolution?

Hi, Shane is on public holiday so I'll try to help. If you go to Toolset > Settings > Custom Content, you will see a couple of options for clearing the image cache - try both. When you migrate a site, you may need to clear the Toolset image cache to update those URLs correctly. Please try this the next time you migrate a site, and let me know if the issue is not resolved.

Hello,

I cleared the image cache. This did not resolve the issue.

May I log in to the site you just tested and take a look? Private reply fields are available here.

I downloaded a copy of this site to see what's happening, and it appears your find and replace script is missing the guid column of the posts table for the posts shown in this archive, among other things. Check wpstg0_posts, ID 1136. The guid of this post is pointing to the old domain, which is the main problem here. As soon as I replace that domain with my local test environment domain, the problem is solved.

I checked the SQL dump file generated for my clone and there are 1084 instances of the old domain showing up, so I suspect your find-and-replace script is not set up to handle all the necessary tables, columns, and serialized data structures, or perhaps it's not flexible enough to handle minor URL differences like http vs https. Is there a reason not to use Duplicator or some other migration tool instead of the find-and-replace script? It might save a lot of headache.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.