Skip Navigation

[Resolved] toolset integration with other plug-ins via shortcodes vs new post type

This support ticket is created 4 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Author

this is more of a general question. i have created a Custom Post Type using Toolset (called staff) which is used to create staff members. i have a couple of 3rd-party plug-ins which contain data i would like to relate to these and pull into my presentation layer - namely locations (which are created using the Super Store Finder plugin) + reviews (which are created using WP Business Reviews). so each staff member can have multiple locations + multiple reviews collections associated with it. these plug-ins have available shortcodes which i could probably leverage.

my question is (1) can i somehow leverage these shortcodes as a custom field entry in the Staff Custom Post Type? if so, what is the best way to do so. rather that manually input them, a lookup would be much better to reduce user error. or (2) is it better to create a new Custom Post Type for Location as well as Reviews? or (3) is there a better way to do this? thx in advance.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

I'm not sure why you want to use the Super Store Finder plugin + WP Business Reviews. I see both are pro plugins and honestly, I do not have any experience with those plugins.

However - If you want to create a store search, Toolset offers plugin Toolset Maps using which you can implement the location search. Please check the example given with the following reference site:
=> hidden link

(1) can i somehow leverage these shortcodes as a custom field entry in the Staff Custom Post Type?
==>
I do not know what you mean here:
- do you mean that you wanted to store the custom shortcode belongs to third party plugins as custom field value?
- Do you mean that you want to display those shortcodes which you stored as custom field value while displaying a single post of Staff post type? If yes: If you create a content template that will be used to display single Staff information, what if you directly add those thrid party shortcodes directly to the content template rather storing the value to custom fields.

(2) is it better to create a new Custom Post Type for Location as well as Reviews?
- I think it could be better as you will have full control of your content but at the same time, you might not have exact features that could be offered by those third party pro plugins.

(3) is there a better way to do this?
- I suggest you should try to create a test site on our free platform discover-wp.com using any of our available reference sites and play with it. That will allow you to know what Toolset offers and for what features you need those pro plugins.
=> https://discover-wp.com/site-templates/

Thank you for the quick reply Minesh. You said that you did not understand one of the questions I asked - I pasted it again below with a better explanation hopefully!

(1) can i somehow leverage these shortcodes as a custom field entry in the Staff Custom Post Type? - you said you did not know what I meant here.
What I mean is that we have another shortcode from another plugin we are using. We are dynamically/programmatically providing that shortcode with an attribute - so we are not typing in the attribute value directly. How can we use that shortcode and attribute dynamically inside a Toolset shortcode or content template?

Does that make sense? Wondering if our syntax is off - or we may need to register the shortcode in some way so Toolset recognizes it - looking for the proper method to get that working.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

But I would like to know where you want to display that shortcode - on the single post of post type on front end - If yes,

Toolset offers a Content template where you should add your shortcode to display on frontend.

Please check the following Doc:
https://toolset.com/documentation/adding-custom-code/how-to-create-a-custom-shortcode/

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.