Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Toolset Blocks not Displaying Dynamic Featured Image

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Featured images are not working in the dynamic data source for an image block since WordPress 5.3.1

Solution: Update to the latest version of Views / Blocks to get the fix.

This support ticket is created 4 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Dave 4 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I am trying to: Use Blocks to display the featured image of my posts

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: The featured image

Instead, I got: Nothing on the front end and the message "This dynamic source returned no content" on the back end.

Since updating to Blocks V1.0 the dynamically assigned featured images content are no longer working. As far as I can tell, all of the existing ones are displaying the error message "This block has encountered an error and cannot be previewed". Using the image block or the single field block to select the current post (or any posts) featured image results in the no content error message. However, if I use the shortcode block and the views shortcode

[wpv-post-featured-image size="medium"]

then it works just fine in a view, but nothing works in a content template.

If you look at the content templates for the developments and the properties you will see the featured image issues.

Stranger still, I have messed around with the image block error, and converting it to a group and then back brings the preview back and the backend looks fine, but it will still not render on the front end.

I've tested it with other image types and all except one (floor plans) produce the same result. The floor plans are identical, just a custom image field, but they use pngs not jpegs. But this is almost certainly unrelated as I have tried setting some featured image to png and it makes no difference.

I cannot understand why it will not pull the correct image data. I have cleared caches, removed and re-added the featured images, rebuilt the views, disabled other plugins, nothing seems to make a difference. The url provided is using the views shortcode to generate the featured image shown.

Amit Kvint
Supporter

Hi there, Amit here, I am the Toolset Support Manager - this issue is already fixed in our development versions, we are testing and it'll be released soon.

Is there an ETA on this?

I'm normally a big supporter of your products but leaving this known bug out there after heavily promoting the (otherwise excellent) Blocks is a huge problem and has broken a website that people are now looking to me to fix.

Obviously I understand that these things happen, but I can't help but think the release should have been pulled if this is a known issue.

Obviously I understand that these things happen, but I can't help but think the release should have been pulled if this is a known issue.
The code is in review now, and I expect it will be released sooner rather than later. We expect it very soon, but I do not have any more concrete information for a delivery schedule at this time. I'll keep you posted here.

Hi, our developers have released hotfixes for the Blocks and Views plugins. You can find them now in your account page here at https://toolset.com/account/downloads or you can automatically update from wp-admin. Please update and let me know if the issue with featured image dynamic content is not resolved. Thank you for your patience!

That seems to have fixed it, everything is working again so thanks for the quick turn around on the update guys.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.