Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Toolset Access prevents FacetWP from updating BB results for non-admins

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I'm using FacetWP to create some filters to update a UABB advanced post widget, but it's not working as expected with Access active.

Solution: Without UABB advanced posts module, Facet templates seem to be working as expected.

This support ticket is created 4 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by tylerG 4 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

We are building an intranet for a municipality where a list of internal contacts (CPT created by Toolset) are viewed only to those logged in. We want it in a grid format with pagination and department category filtering on the side.

We have tried 2 different ways:
* a FacetWP filter on the left to narrow down by department categories + Ultimate Addons for Beaver Builder - Advances Posts on the CPT in Grid layout, main query, Facet WP enabled, w/ pagination
* a FacetWP filter on the left to narrow down by department categories + a FacetWP content Template replacing the UABB grid layout + a FacetWP pager

The custom roles for Employees and Supervisors to control access to pages and CPTs are done through Toolset Access.

When I am logged in as an Admin - with or without Toolset Access enabled ... I can filter the Contacts page correctly by Dept Category as well as paging through.

But when I switch to ANY other user with a role other than Toolset Access (yes, custom roles as well as the default WP Editor or below) ... the Contacts page will not refresh the results when filtering by category or when paging the results.
*** It is only when I deactivate Toolset Access that these other users are able to filter/page the Contacts page and the results will update.

Not sure why the Ajax updating of the results only works for Admins and not the rest.

I have searched the internet and haven't found any luck as to this issue...

I am able to setup a staging environment and custom users for you to test this if required.

Hi, I'll be happy to take a look. Please provide login credentials for the staging site in the private reply fields here. I will most likely also need to create a clone of the site so I can report the issue to our second tier team. I can use the Duplicator plugin to create that clone, if you approve.

Hey Christian!

I can get you access as an admin to our staging site.

I need an email however to invite as a collaborator via FTP access to the staging site on Flywheel - I just need to know what email to send the invite to first.

The staging site is fine for you to work on and modify & edit - but if you have to duplicate it and use it in your local environment, yes that is fine to do --- JUST the staging version/folder of the site (which I will specify in my next reply once you send me your email to invite you.)

Okay thanks for the details, I'm working on this now. I will stay out of the production environment.

Hi, I wanted to give you an update on progress so far. I have been able to create my site clone from the Staging environment, and I have been able to get that clone activated on a local environment. That's working fine. I'm also able to replicate the problem with the Facet filters and UABB grid with pagination on my local clone. However, I'm not able to replicate the problem with only Facet filters and a Facet template with pagination on my local clone. I cloned the existing BB Themer Layout and replaced the UABB grid with the intranet_contact_archive Facet template, then changed the layout location rules in the original Themer Layout so that it would not compete with the new copy. It seems to be working as expected.

Next, I tried to replicate the problem in a fresh new site with the BB, Facet, and Toolset plugins installed from scratch, starting with a clean database. Again, I was able to replicate the problem but only with the UABB grid. When only Facet templates and filters are used, I can't replicate it. So tomorrow I will present the problem with UABB to my 2nd tier support team for further analysis, and I'll follow up with you to try to figure out why Facet is working for me but not for you. Hopefully we can get one of the solutions working for you so you can continue development. Thanks for your patience, I'll be in touch tomorrow.

Okay I have submitted the UABB conflict to my 2nd tier team for additional investigation. I'd like to try to get the FacetWP approach working on the staging site, if that's okay with you. Let me know and I will get started.

Hey Christian!

I appreciate your help in all this and your discoveries.
Yes, you can work to add the FacetWP changes to Staging and hope it will work.

I ask though that you log the steps and changes - mostly because the live site is very active with current users, I am pretty sure we can't just push the fixes made to staging and overwrite those of Production. I will probably have to make said changes to Production in the same way you did to Staging.

Thanks!

Okay sure, I made the adjustments in staging and it seems to be working now with Access Control active. Check it out and if it looks okay, here are the steps you can reproduce in prod:

1. Disable Query Monitor temporarily - it seems to cause some JavaScript conflicts in the builder.
2. Clone the existing BB Themer Layout "Archive - Private Employee Directory" and rename the clone to "Archive - Private Employee Directory, no UABB".
3. Launch the builder to start modifying the cloned archive layout.
4. Delete the existing UABB Advanced Posts widget.
5. Edit the Facet and Facet template conditional display logic settings as needed. I chose "Always" or "Logged-in User" in my tests.
6. Save the new layout.
7. Edit original BB Themer Layout "Archive - Private Employee Directory" and delete the "Location" and "Exclude" Themer settings to disassociate the original layout from the archive.
8. Clear WP Rocket Cache and test as Employee, Admin, and guest User and confirm everything works as expected.

Hello Christian!

Just to update you - I have not gotten to try your steps yet, but plan to today or tomorrow.

Please continue to leave this ticket open as I will reply this week with my results on the steps.

Thanks

Thanks for the update, I will stand by for further information.

My issue is resolved now with your help on this Christian!
I was able to implement it in production and finish up everything else I needed to with the Facet WP template.

I am not pursuing using the UABB module - but that should be something your team still looks into.

Thanks

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.