Skip Navigation

[Resolved] "This form can not edit users with a role of"

This support ticket is created 4 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Author

Hi there

When a users on our platform want to change something in their profile, they see that message:

This form can not edit users with a role of

But there is no role added at the end of that text.

I'm pretty sure it worked a few days ago. I since added a new custom user field to the users and to that CRED form. But I can't imagine how this could affect this.

I'd like to provide more information but have no idea what you need next. But I can grant you backend access.

Best,
Marcial

Hi, I'll be glad to take a closer look. Please provide login credentials here and let me know where I can find the Form on the front-end of the site.

Okay I can see another similar report here: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/user-form-this-form-can-not-edit-users-with-a-role-of-blank/

The issue seems to occur when multiple roles are used, and we have escalated the problem to our developers. I don't think it will be a quick resolution, because it affects quite a large amount of our codebase. I will be glad to connect this ticket to our internal bug tracker so I can keep you posted as we work to resolve the situation.

Waqar proposed one possible solution, but it requires manually updating the database for each User that has this problem.

Hi Christian

Thanks for your feedback. I was hoping there was a simpler solution. But for now, I'll check the database and get back to you in case I'm unsure what to change.

Best,
Marcial

Thanks, I'll stand by for your update.

Hi Christian

The code in the affected user looks like this:

a:3:{s:8:"Mitglied";b:1;s:8:"mitglied";b:1;s:6:"editor";b:1;} 

That user had two roles. When removing the "editor" role via wordpress backend, it looks like this:

a:2:{s:8:"Mitglied";b:1;s:8:"mitglied";b:1;} 

In other users with only one role it's like this:

a:2:{s:8:"Mitglied";b:1;s:8:"mitglied";b:1;} 

So there's no difference now. But it still doesn't work for that user. The same error message pops up.

What now?

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Marcial,

Christian is currently out today, however he will be back tomorrow to continue working on this issue with you.

Thank you for the continued patience.

So if a User only has one role "Mitglied", then the capability value should be:

a:1:{s:8:"mitglied";b:1;}

Lowercase "m", and not repeated.

Hi Christian

Thank you very much. I was able to find/replace the faulty entries in phpMyAdmin and thus solved the problem for all the users.

I assume the problem started when importing the users (WP ALL Import with an Excel-Sheet). The user role was written with an uppercase first letter.

Thanks again!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.