Skip Navigation

[Resolved] The edit icons are not appearing in the layout editor

This support ticket is created 4 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 3 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author
Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 15.41.25.png

Hi there,

The edit icons (and other icons) seem to have disappeared from the edit screen recently. Attached is a screenshot. Here's a screencast, too:

hidden link

Without the edit icons, it's impossible to edit layouts. I have other sites with the latest versions of the plugins (Layouts 2.6.3, Types 3.3.7, and Views 2.9.4). The only difference between this site and the others is that this site is a multisite installation.

Saul

According to this post:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/missing-edit-icons-for-the-blocks-in-the-layout-editor/

It has something to do with FontAwesome. But I can't figure out what the problem is; I didn't disable displaying FontAwesome, and I see it referenced in the linked stylesheets in the HTML output. Has something changed on Toolset's end?

Saul

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Saul,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

Are you using the exact same plugins and the theme on the websites where the issue can be seen and where the icons are loading correctly?

To troubleshoot this, I'll suggest the following steps:

1. Please make sure that WordPress, active theme and all plugins are updated to the latest versions.

2. You can make a complete backup copy of the website and then test the icons again, with all non-Toolset plugins disabled and a default theme like Twenty Nineteen.

If the issue is fixed, you can start adding the disabled items, one-by-one, to narrow down to a possible conflict.

3. In case the issue still persists, you're welcome to share temporary admin login details, for further troubleshooting.

Note: Your next reply will be private and though no changes will be made on your website, please make a complete backup copy, before sharing the access details.

regards,
Waqar

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Saul,

Thank you for sharing the admin access and your findings.

During testing on my own website, I was able to reproduce this with the OceanWP theme as well.

The theme uses FontAwesome 5.x, whereas the Toolset plugins use FontAwesome 4.x.

It is planned to incorporate FontAwesome 5 into Toolset plugins as well, but I'm afraid, I don't have a time estimate to share at the moment.

I'll keep you updated on the progress through this ticket, and for now, as a workaround, you can include the following code snippet, in your active child theme's "functions.php" file:

function load_fontawesome4_enqueue_admin_script( $hook ) {
	// if admin page for the layout editing is being viewed
	if ( 'toolset_page_dd_layouts_edit' == $hook ) {

// remove fontswesome from the theme
		wp_dequeue_style( 'font-awesome' );
		wp_deregister_style( 'font-awesome' );

// and load the one from the Toolset
		wp_enqueue_style('font-awesome', plugins_url().'/types/vendor/toolset/toolset-common/res/lib/font-awesome/css/font-awesome.min.css?ver=4.7.0');
	}
}

add_action( 'admin_enqueue_scripts', 'load_fontawesome4_enqueue_admin_script' );

This will load Toolset's FontAwesome styles, only when the admin screen for the Layouts will be viewed and as a result, those icons will show properly.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

That little miracle has corrected the issue!

Thank you, Waqar!

Hopefully Toolset can update FontAwesome soon, too. 🙂

Saul

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Saul,

I'd like to inform that Toolset plugins now include the updated Font Awesome v.5.13.0.

The latest release of Views 3.2 and Blocks 1.2 contains this updated version.

You're welcome to update the plugins and let us know through a new ticket in case the issue still persists.

regards,
Waqar

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.