Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Taxonomy Shows "Other" in URL

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Chris 8 years, 7 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Luo Yang.


I changed my taxonomy slug from singular to plural ("State" to "States") and now when i assign a taxonomy it just says other in the url

My url looks like this at the moment: ‎

and used to look like this: ‎

I have deleted the custom post and tried to reassign a taxonomy to the new one but nothing works.


Luo Yang

Languages: English (English ) Chinese (Simplified) (简体中文 )

Timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

Hi Chris,

Could you describe the detail steps you take, I need duplicate the same problems in my localhost.



1) Made a custom post type with "location" as the slug
-- Used a custom URL format: location/%state%
2) Made a taxonomy group with "state" as the slug
3) Made a page with the slug "state" to display the archive list

At this point everything worked perfectly.

1) Then I changed the taxonomy slug from "state" to "states"
2) And changed the page slug from "state" to "states"

After that, ive had issues.


This was automatically added to my htaccess file. Should I keep this there?

RewriteRule ^wp-types-group/(.+)/$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^/(.+)/$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^un_feedback/(.+)/$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^/(.+)/$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^/(.+)/$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^/(.+)/$ /$1 [R=301,L]

I made a change again. Since Im chaging the slug from singular to plural, I noticed i didnt change this yet.

1) Made a custom post type with "location" as the slug
– Used a custom URL format: location/%state% <--------- Singular! (now changed to plural)

PROBLEM NOW: The slug in the URL no longer says OTHER, it now looks like this ( )

Almost like it doesnt recognize it.

Any ideas? This is killing me! Thanks for the help in advance. 🙂


Ive tried a few more things and cant figure it out. So weird :/


I know nothing about PHP or function files etc… I think your plugin automatically add code to my functions file when I made a custom taxonomy, is that right? My issue again was when i changed my slug from singular to plural everything broke.


// custom taxonomy permalinks
add_filter('post_link', 'states_permalink', 10, 3);
add_filter('post_type_link', 'states_permalink', 10, 3);

function states_permalink($permalink, $post_id, $leavename) {
if (strpos($permalink, '%states%') === FALSE) return $permalink;

// Get post
$post = get_post($post_id);
if (!$post) return $permalink;

// Get taxonomy terms
$terms = wp_get_object_terms($post->ID, 'states');
if (!is_wp_error($terms) && !empty($terms) && is_object($terms[0])) $taxonomy_slug = $terms[0]->slug;
else $taxonomy_slug = 'other';

return str_replace('%states%', $taxonomy_slug, $permalink);

I changed all the singular slugs to plural and everything works perfectly. I feel like i figured it out on my own after weeks and nobody at Types could.

Not exactly fair. I get better support from most free plugins.

Nothing I can do now, just pointing it out.