Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Taxonomy filter as multiselect with searchbox

This support ticket is created 7 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Juan 7 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Juan.

Author

Hello,
I set up a search form in a view where there are filters based on taxonomies.
I would like the multiselect fields to integrate a search part, and a few other options.
Here is an example of what I'd like : hidden link
How would you recommend to achieve this ?
Thank you.

Here is another example : hidden link

Hi Roman,

Thank you for contacting Toolset support.

Currently, Toolset doesn't support this functionality.

I will forward you request to the toolset development team leader so that he can check and decide if we can implement this option in Toolset.

Thanks.

Juan
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Roman

Thanks for the feedback.

I highly doubt that Toolset should support something like that out of the box, for multiple reasons. First, we do implement multiselect according to the valid HTML markup: as a select element with the right multiple attribute.

In the first example you link, the generated markup uses a multiselect HTML tag, shich is not valie HTML as far as I know, and deals and depends in several, too many, libraries: at least Bootstrap and Angular, and a dedicated scripts. Besides the hard dependencies on frameworks that we do not provide, having a dedicated script just for rendering an input type is out of the table for us. We will not be producing invalid or custom HTML tags, although you are free of checking how we generate out otuput and build upon it.

In the second example, things look much better. Although it depends in a dedicated script bsed on the Bootstrap framework, at least the markup it demands is valid: it just needs some extra data attributes for some settings. That is somethign we could play nicely with, although we would not provide this out of the box at all: we would just offer you the flexibility to add those data attributes, and it would be on you to set the needed assets and initialize the dropdown, also in our custom events related to AJAX functionality, as I highly suspect that this can not be just initialized for dynamically addded elements without firing at least something.

All in all, we are indeed interested in expanding the markup we generate for frontend forms, including ways to set custom data attributes. But we are not adding invalid markup or extra javascript plugins out of the box: that belongs to the extra customization that each user decides to add.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

Hello and thank you for this complete awnser.
I've just noticed Gravity Forms provides an out of the box solution for enhanced interface for multiselect fields.
Are toolset plugins compatible with Gravity Forms ? For instance, how complex would it be to replace the custom search form interface with gravity's one ?
Thank you.

Juan
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Roman

Well, it depends on what you call compatible. As far as I know, w do not have any issue by existing together on a site, so you could say we are compaible in the sense that we do not cause any compatibility issue.

I do not think that replacing the Views frontend search with one from Gravito Forms would be easy at all, especially because they serve two very different purposes. Gravity forms is a forms plugin, so you can create forms that visitors will submit and you create data or get it somehow. Views forms are searching forms, which let you filter results based on some criteria.

Because of that, the markup, the functionality and the underlying code of both things is entirely different. In theory, you should be able to do whatever you want to do with both, an din fact you can use whatever markup you want for the Views search forms, but that will have a cost in terms of functionality, javascript involved that you will need to write, and adjustments of Views inners, which will craft a very log list of things to do and to check,

All in all, Views forms are designed to properly perform Views frontend searches. And while we have plans for some customization, and you can always put in your own javascript addons, I do nto think that integrating with Gravity Forms would be an easy thing to do at all.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.