Skip Navigation

[Resolved] taxonomy field

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

I just want to show the last sermon entered, it's title, and it's associated taxonomy title / taxonomy image. And then show place this 'view' inside my template.

Why can't I make a view to show a post (with all it's fields) and all the data (term fields) of the taxonomy it's associated with?

Solution:

In your case, you can try with a nested view, for example:

1) Parent post view list "SERMONS" posts, and display below child view

2) Child taxonomy view list terms of taxonomy "SERIES", with a Taxonomy term filter:

Taxonomy is set by the current post

In the child Taxonomy view, display the term fields.

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/displaying-wordpress-term-fields/

This support ticket is created 6 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by mikeH-3 6 years ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

I made an item type called SERMONS. I made a taxonomy for it called SERIES. I added a field (term field) to this taxonomy called series-image.

So then I added an item to this SERIES taxonomy called FULLY DEVOTED and uploaded an image with it (to this series-image field).

Then I added a sermon item and assigned it to this FULLY DEVOTED series item.

Now, I want to show the image I uploaded to UPWARD in all the sermons I assign to that series. I want to show it in a view I made that lists all the sermons. What is the code to show this series-image field? I've tried everything from your site and still can't figure it out. You can see here hidden link it's showing all the data I input for a sermon but I have no idea how to pull data from the taxonomy fields of the taxonomy these sermons are assigned to.

Basically I want to show the image in all the sermon boxes you see there of whatever series the sermon is assigned to.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Well - At the moment, you can display term fields on a View listing terms and on a term archive page.

So - you should create a taxonomy view filter by your taxonomy term slug and add the taxonomy image (series-image field) to taxonomy view's loop output section.

Please check following Doc that may help you:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/displaying-wordpress-term-fields/

That's the thing though. The taxonomy term field I made doesn't show up to choose from when I click on the 'Fields and Views' button. Why is that?

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Well - taxonomy fields should be shown with the taxonomy view and archive only.

Are you on taxonomy view or archive page?

Why can't I make a view to show a post (with all it's fields) and all the data (term fields) of the taxonomy it's associated with? In one view? It seems I have to choose one or the other. I just want to show the last sermon entered, it's title, and it's associated taxonomy title / taxonomy image. And then show place this 'view' inside my template.

Hello,

Minesh isn't available, I will take care of this thread.

In your case, you can try with a nested view, for example:
2) Child taxonomy view list terms of taxonomy "SERIES", with a Taxonomy term filter:
In the child Taxonomy view, display the term fields according to our document:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/displaying-wordpress-term-fields/

Thanks Luo,
Unfortunately I have no idea what you are saying to do in step 1. Can you tell me where I would set sermons as the parent posts and what you mean about displaying it below child view?

It is just a simple view for listing posts of post type "SERMONS", you don't need to "set sermons as the parent posts", you can use Views shortcode [wpv-view] to display the child view:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views-shortcodes/#wpv-view

If you still need assistance for it, please provide a test site with same problem, I can setup a demo for you

I can login your website, I have tried both URLs in wordpress admin side
hidden link
hidden link

Both of them display 404 errors, please check it, make sure the credentials you provided is a valid admin account

Please try now

After login into your website, I get 503 error, see screenshot 503.JPG, seems your website is broken, so I can not setup demo in your website, so I create a demo site here:
hidden link
user/pass: xgren/111111

hidden link

In the child Taxonomy view, display the term fields
hidden link

For your reference.

That helped tremendously. Thank you SO much! Best help yet I've gotten on here.

You are welcome.

This isn't working unfortunately. The sermons all show the same taxonomy image even though they have different assigned taxonomies (and thus different images).

hidden link You can see what I mean. They have different series and yet even though the different series have different image, they are all showing the same series image.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.