Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Taxonomies disappeared

This support ticket is created 7 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Luo Yang 7 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

Hi,

We had a few custom taxonomies and we have just been advised by the client that they have all vanished. It is hard to know if it happened when we did the last update or at a different moment, we don't know if they vanished yesterday or 1 month ago, unfortunately.

We have already disabled ALL plugins and switched to Twenty Sixteen but no luck.

I can see the terms in phpMyAdmin, as far as I can tell.

How can we find them to ensure they are in the database? Any ideas if this is a common thing to have happened?

Many thanks

Tia

Thank you for contacting Toolset Support. I am happy to help you with this.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will request to duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://toolset.com/toolset-support-policy/privacy-security-providing-debug-information-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:

hidden link

Tia

Thank you for allowing me to login.

I was able to login and see the issue. Since I do not have access to the database at this time, and if you are positive they are in the database, you should just be able to add them back in Toolset > Taxonomies but the slugs must match the old slugs.

If this is not possible for you, please let me know and I will be happy to provide further assistance.

** IMPORTANT ** Please backup a working copy of site files and database before continuing.

Please let me know your results.

Hi,

I had replied to this but apparently responding by email doesn't work.

My reply was that I have already sent you access to cPanel where you can find phpMyAdmin, can you please refer to my private message?

Please use the same domain name I gave you, such as:

hidden link

Many thanks

Dear Hector,

I just got this thread, I can see two databases in the PHPmyadmin:
steptwoc_stage
steptwoc_wp
Which one is for the problem website?
Which term is the vanished term?
Where and how do you see it in PHPmyadmin tools?

Hi Luo,

It is "steptwoc_wp"

There are a few missing terms, but to test we could start with "awards-location" ?

I saw it in the terms table, I believe (this was last week and it took me ages to find where taxonomies are stored so not entirely sure) but it would be in the default table where terms are stored.

Many thanks Luo

Thanks for the details, I am downloading the database with phpmyadmin tool, will feedback if there is any found

385.JPG

I can not find any term start with "awards-location" in database table "site_terms", see screenshot 385.JPG

So, I need more details about the missing terms, how and where can I see them in your database?
Thanks

Hi Luo,

These are the taxonomies, apologies I gave you the wrong name:

- award-location
- award-date
- award-topic

I just added the taxonomies manually and all the data came back. What could have been the problem??

If they are using same term slug, then there should not be any problem, also you can feedback if there is any new problem. thanks

Thanks Luo.

But my concern is if this is a bug that will repeat. Is this a common thing, any ideas why it may happen?

I don't think it is a bug of Types plugin.
I tried these below, but still can not find the problem terms:
1) Export the mysql database from your website, import it into my localhost
2) with PHPmyadmin tool, search below keyword in database "steptwoc_wp", table "site_terms":
- award-location
- award-date
- award-topic
You can simply run below sql in the problem database:
SELECT * FROM `site_terms` WHERE `slug` LIKE '%award-location%';
There is empty result, so I can not find the those terms in your database, if you still need help for it, please describe detail steps to find the missing terms, how and where can I see them in your database?

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.