Skip Navigation

[Resolved] taxonomien as listing in Custom Field groups

This support ticket is created 7 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Juan 7 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Juan.

Author

Hi Amir,

this a feature request of types 2.3. Have a look at this thread.
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/taxonomien-as-listing-in-custom-field-groups/
I can not believe that no one ever needed this feature. Maybe this is possible with types 2.3. but if not, than we need this in the near future,

ACF Pro is doing this as of 2014. Hope to here from you about this. Your last call about types 2.3 is about 2 month left.

thanks Henryk

Juan
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Henrik

Thanks for the feedback.

First of all, I would like to highlight that this support forum is not a way to communicate directly with Amir, but a support forum. Specifically, feature requests dealing with Toolset plugins come directly to me, because I am the team leader.

I see that you are linking to another topic created by you also yesterday, with this same request, and that this ticket was created while discussion was still ongoing there (I can see an answer from you later than the time this ticket was created. I would kindly ask you to avoid creating new tickets for the same things: one ticket is enough, and you had an answer there already. We could have managed this request just there quite fine, still as a feature request.

Now, going deeper in the feature request: having fields populated by taxonomies. As far as I see in the screenshots included on how other do this, those are not actual fields, but proxy interfaces for managing the taxonomy assignment itself. I can see two situations where you would want to display this like that: when editing the post that has the taxonomy assigned itself, or when editing those kind of posts as children of another post type.

In the first case, you already have the native WordPress GUI to manage taxonomy terms, so nothing to do here.

In your screenshot in the other ticket, I see that you ask for the second case: when editing the post as child of another post type. If that is the case, you can indeed display your taxonomy in the children table for a parent post type already. Just go to Types > Post types > Edit your parent post type, scroll down and get to the Post relationships section, find the child post type you are dealing with, and click on the Select fields link just besides the name. A dialog will get open, and there you can select which fields will get included in the children table. Mark the last option "Specific fields", and you will be able to select not just basic data like post title, or custom fiels, but also taxonomies.

You can see some documentation on this, here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/creating-post-type-relationships/
Just scroll down to the "Select Child Fields and Taxonomies to Display in the Fields Table" section.

Yes, taxonomies wil be presented as checkboxes, and not as select dropdowns, but that is another story. Taxonomies are not meant to let you select just one value - that is what custom fields are for. Taxonomies were created to let you assign multiple terms to a single post. There is a request for WordPress to create taxonomies with the ability to assign just one term, but this is still under discussion. We can take a feature request to display those taxonomies as select dropdown in children tables, but as we are using the WordPress native rendering methods, this migt not be that simple.

So, long story short, the request for having taxonomies as listing in custom fields groups does already exist when you edit children for a given parent post (as checkboxes) and makes little sense when editing a post itself. However, I would be glad to hear further reasons about this.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Hi Juan,
sorry for dubbled the feature requests. I thought if I issue the theme again as a feature request, it would not show up in the forum. Besides, I did not know that you are the contact for these inquiries.

This means that wordpress natively does not leave lists of values (taxonomies) depending on the type of post. Then Myles and ACF have programmed this function themselves? I was not aware of this.

So yes take a feature request to display those taxonomies as select dropdown in children tables, but as we are using the WordPress native rendering methods, this migt not be that simple.

Maybe this Jquery libary is usefull, if the listings are to long.
hidden link
Matt gibbs from
hidden link
used it
thanks for the long answer. Your support is very good!

kind regards Henryk

Juan
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Henrik

Thabks for the beedback, and do not worry for the duplciation 🙂

As far as I know, WordPress does not have a proper way of displaying taxonomies in a select dropdown, while it does have methods for displaying as a set fo checkboxes. That is what it is missing and what third party plugins added themselves, in my opinion. I did not get the comment on the terms based on post types: of course WordPress natively manages this. That is the reason why you see a GUI for setting categories, say, in Posts, but not in Pages.

The problem on dealing with very long lists of its is also something that WordPress needs to solve. This same issue appears when you have several thousand of categories, users or any kind of data, actually. We can offer workarounds, like textfields with autocomplete, or filterable lists, but in any case those are just patches that each plugin implements differently. In the cse of select dropdowns, we dcided to use select2 with AJAX search, but we are open to other techniques.

I am taking your feature request and adding it to my list.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.