Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Tag Cloud with Views

This support ticket is created 3 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Author

Hi,
I created a CPT called "FAQ". In there I created some custom fields and added FAQs. I also created a custom taxonomy called "Tag Cloud Schlagwörter" and also a view "Tag_Cloud". The view contains the Tag_Cloud_Schlagwörter (Tag _Cloud Tags) and is being displayed in the frontend. If I click on the link from the Tag_Cloud_Tag in the frontend, it opens the corresponding FAQ. However, the URL differs from the URL of another View on that site, where I display all FAQ's questions in an accordeon. Example:
If I click on a tag from the tag cloud, the URL is: hidden link
If I click that that question in the accordeon, the URL is: hidden link
This is the same question, but one built with a taxanomy view and the other is built with the FAQ-CPT view. The client wants to know, if it is possible that the Tag_Cloud view can also use the URL-part ".../faq/..." instead of ".../tag-cloud-schlagwort/...". Is this possible to use the same URL for both?
Thanks
Thorsten

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Thorsten,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

Your website is behind a coming soon page but based on the information and the structure of the links that you've shared, the two pages serve a different purpose.

Link 1: hidden link

This is a taxonomy term archive page, which means that it will list all "FAQ" posts, which have a specific "Tag Cloud Schlagwörter" taxonomy term ( in this case "wie sieht biblische ehe aus" ) attached.

I suspect that at the moment, your website only has 1 "FAQ" post with the term "wie sieht biblische ehe aus", which gives an impression that this page is the same as the single "FAQ" post page. You can test by adding another "FAQ" post with the term "wie sieht biblische ehe aus" and you'll see the difference.

Link 2: hidden link

This is a single post page for the "FAQ" post "duerfen unverheiratete paare-nach der bibel zusammenleben" and lists only the information about a single "FAQ".

Right now, your visitors have the ability to either click the tag cloud link (Link 1) and reach a similar set of FAQs, based on the common "Tag Cloud Schlagwörter" taxonomy term, or, they can click the link from the post view (Link 2) to reach to an individual FAQ.

I hope this clarifies the difference.

regards,
Waqar

Hi Waqar,

thanks for your answer. To give you a better idea of the situation, I created an Admin account for you. Could you please make the next post private, so I can send you the credentials?

Also there is another topic with the same client. At the clients old site you can order some christian books through a form. Here are the requirements for the this form, which I wanted to create through Toolset forms with a Custom Post Type and some custom fileds, so that the client can edit/add products by himself. I already used WooCommerce for this on his new site, however I have to do so many customizations, that I don't want to use WooComemrce for this purpose. Here are the requirements:

• Some Products have prices. However all prices are optional for the user to pay (donation). The prices in the form shall not be visible for the user in the order process itself, but shall be calculated by the form in the background. In the last step, before the user clicks on the order button, the total amount should be visible with a PAYPAL DONATION BUTTON (should be doable witf PP Donation button -> external plugin -> shortcode). The reason is, because it is only optional for the user to pay that price, its a donation. He doesn’t have to pay it and for that reason the amount should only be visible in the last step of the order process.
  • The articles have different prices
  • The user can only order a certain amount (maximum number) of the items (which is also different from item to item)
  • The article description can contain links, which open in a new tab
  • There should also be an option, that articles are not in stock and this should be shown in the frontend form (grayed out)
  • The Order form has to be a Multistep-Form First Page/Step -> choose the articles you want | Second Page/Step -> Enter name and address | Third Page/Step -> Confirm Order

Here is the old form from their old (current) site (you have to make an exception because there is now ssl certificate): hidden link

Thanks
Thorsten

New threads created by Waqar and linked to this one are listed below:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/split-using-toolset-forms-to-create-a-specialized-form/

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for writing back and I've set your next reply as private.

Note: Please make a complete backup copy, before sharing the access details.

I've split the other topic about the form into a new ticket and will reply to it separately.
( ref: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/split-using-toolset-forms-to-create-a-specialized-form/ )

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for sharing these details.

I understand what you're planning to achieve, but, I see an issue with that, which needs to be cleared first.

In the list of "Tag Cloud Schlagwort" terms, there are terms like "Ist die Bibel wahr?" which have more than 1 "FAQ" posts attached.
( screenshot: hidden link )

Tag Cloud Schlagwort "Ist die Bibel wahr?" has these 3 FAQ posts attached:

1. 2.11 Es gibt so viele verschiedene Interpretationen der Bibel. Warum sollte ich an Ihre glauben?
2. 2.02 Wie kann ich prüfen, ob die Bibel wahr ist?
3. 2.01 Wie können Sie sagen, dass die Bibel von Gott ist und dass alles wahr ist?

Now, I see that in the page for this term's archive ( hidden link ) only content from one of those FAQ posts ( "2.11 Es gibt so viele verschiedene Interpretationen der Bibel. Warum sollte ich an Ihre glauben?" ) is showing. So, I'd like to understand that what is the criteria to use to link a Tag Cloud Schlagwort term, in case it is attached to more than 1 FAQ posts?

If all your Tag Cloud Schlagwort terms will always be attached to only 1 FAQ posts, you can create a new post view that shows FAQ posts and set a taxonomy filter "Tag Cloud Schlagwörter set by the parent Taxonomy View" and then nest that view in the loop of the view "Tag_Cloud". This way, you'll be able to link the term in the cloud, to the attached FAQ post and not the term's archive page.

UPDATE to my post below: I got it working with the nested view. Now I have to clear things with the client because I linked the nested view to the posts title and than the numbers of the faq questions (1.02 etc.) will also be displayed. But this is an issue with the way it is implemented and as I said, I have to clear that things up with the client.

Hi Waqar,
I think in the beginning, when I created the custom taxanomy "Tag Cloud Schlagwort" my purpose was to attach more than one tag (Schlagwörter in German), but I didn't use this purpose and the client also don't use this purpose.
So I would like to go with your approach with the nested view. I will now reduce the tags, so that only one tag belongs to one FAQ. Could you please help me with the new view? Actually I don't understand how I have to implement it to the parent view "Tag_Cloud".
Thanks
Thorsten

Second Update to my previous post: Is it possible to show the Tag Cloud taxonomies questions and linking to the correct FAQ post? In my Update in my previous post I wrote the issue. The only thing I could imagine which works in order to show the Tag Cloud questions and also linking to the right FAQ posts without having the numbers in the Tag Cloud is to create a custom field which for the FAQ posts, which has the Tag Cloud question and to link it? Hope you understand the problem.
Thanks
Thorsten

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for the update.

You have a couple of options to deal with this, based on what your client would prefer:

1. At the moment, your view "Tag_Cloud_Nested_View" is set to show "FAQ" posts ordered by "Post Title". You can set the display limit to "1" and as a result, this view will always return only 1 FAQ post's link.

OR

2. If you'd like to specify exactly which FAQ post should be used for the link, you can add a new term field to the taxonomy "Tag Cloud Schlagwörter" (from WP Admin > Toolset -> Custom Fields -> Term Fields ). For example the field's name can be "FAQ ID" and in this, you can save the post ID of the target FAQ post to link to an individual term.

After that, you can use this ID in the loop of the view "Tag_Cloud" to get that FAQ post's URL, for the link.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.