Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Split: Unable to add custom fields to field group

This support ticket is created 5 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Pat 5 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Pat

Hi Shane,
For info, i have already moved from Bootstrap 3 to Toolset Starter but it is painful as some classes are not the same !!!

I can understand your point. In fact, what is messing me is the fact that I'm no more able to add a custom field inside a group field.
When I go in the admin and chose a group field, I can see all needed custom fields types in the right, but when I click on one of them, it is not added to the group (nothing change !)

Do you have any idea where this could come from?
Regards
Pat

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Pat,

Could you provide me with the login credentials for this site so that I can check on the issue for you ?

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Pat,

You are using really old versions of our Plugins.

I'm not able to assist with this since this could've been a bug that was fixed in a later release.

Thanks,
Shane

Pat

Hi Shane,

I'm a little surprised.

On one hand, you tell me that Toolset Bootstrap 3 is no more updated and I'm OK with this.
On the other hand, if I update the Toolset plugins, nothing is working and if I don't update the Toolset plugins, I'm no more able to create a new custom field !!!

That's why my first question was to understand what are the latest Toolset plugin version I can use in conjunction with Bootstrap 3 theme. I know I can move to Toolset Starter (which has been depreciated also !!!). So if the Toolset strategy is to say that all sites done under Bootstrap 3 or Toolset Starter have to be moved into another theme, this is something I cannot agree with.

Let me know what could be done in order to be able to add this custom field in the current site.
Regards
Pat

Shane
Supporter

Hi Pat,

This was because cause of action, that I would recommend is to do a stepped update.

I cannot say which versions will maintain compatibility with your theme as there has been quite a number of updates since the versions you have installed.

Also when you say add the custom fields to the CRED form do you mean to add the fields so they can be populated through the frontend ?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Shane

Pat

Hi Shane,

I think the best is that you try to do it by yourself. Go in the admin and try to add a custom field in the group field called "Contact".
When I tried this last time, it was not possible to add the field (nothing appears after having clicked on the desired custom field). I have tried also with several types of fields without success.

Any idea?
Regards
Pat

Shane
Supporter

Hi Pat,

I see the issue.

An update would definitely fix the issue. As i'm not able to even escalate this for further debugging because our 2nd tier and dev team would recommend that an update be performed.

Thanks,
Shane

Pat

Hi Shane,

An update is not possible with Bootstrap 3. If I update Toolset plugins with this theme, then I'm getting an error and nothing is displayed.
So what you are proposing is to move from Bootstrap 3 to Toolset starter and get the same issue in some months / years?
As you can imagine, design is really specific and it is a huge work to move from a theme to another one.
I cannot understand why it is so complicated to find a version of Toolset plugins that should work (ie : creation of new custom fields) without having the latest version. When I created the site, everything was working fine (including custom field creation) and I just want to retrieve a version that enables this, even if this is not a fully updated version !

Regards
Pat

Shane
Supporter

Hi Pat,

So what you are proposing is to move from Bootstrap 3 to Toolset starter and get the same issue in some months / years?

This is not what i'm recommending. What I am actually recommending is that you use one of our recommended themes that are listed below.
https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/

There are many reasons why I suggest that you make an update to the latest version. While I understand your concern about wanting to update to the latest version that is compatible with your theme. It is not something I would recommend.

Eventually something will break again and this will most likely be because of changes in wordpress. I see that you're keeping wordpress up to date but not the plugins. Updating also comes with security patches as well.

Updates not only maintain compatibility with the themes but with the wordpress core as well. We've even updated our plugins recently to be compatible with the 5.0 wordpress update.

Now if you're using our older versions of plugins and and keep updating wordpress then issues like this will occur, which is what I suspect is happening right now.

"I cannot understand why it is so complicated to find a version of Toolset plugins that should work" It is not complicated to find a version, but with so many updates between your current version of our plugins and what we have now, it is just a brute force method to install each update one by one to see which one works.

Even then i cannot guarantee that this will even fix the issue for you.

I really hope this provides a little more information on why I would recommend keeping the plugins up to date.

Pat

Hi Shane,

In the meantime, I have moved from Bootstrap3 to Toolset Starter. Even if it is not the best solution, it was the easiest due to lots of similarities between the 2 themes.
Hope I will not have to move to another theme in the next future !!!
Regards
Pat

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.