Skip Navigation

[Closed] Split: Linking template custom field with BuddyPress member profile

This support ticket is created 3 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 3 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

I thought I'd have more questions...

On my business directory page: hidden link
I would like the name that is shown there to actually link back to that user's profile. And likewise on the individual business listing pages: hidden link. See attached screenshots. I'm using a dynamic field in Toolset to show a custom field. However, that field is just text. Is there a way to instead insert a dynamic field that links to a member's profile?

Thanks in advance for any help on this!
Katie

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Katie,

Thanks for asking! I'd be happy to help.

I understand that you're using the "Your Name" (associated-member) field with the "Businesses" post type, to store the related user/member's name.

To be able to link that name to the respective member's profile, you can add a new "URL" type field for example "Member Profile URL" ( associated-member-url ) and store the associated user's member profile URL in that field.

Once you'll have both the associated member's name and the profile URL, saved with each business post, you can use a "Button" block in your template, to dynamically generate the link and link text from these two fields.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

Hi Waqar,
I am still having trouble with this. Maybe I am missing something...
I did create a new URL post field and created a dynamic button to link to this field in the business template. However, the button is not appearing on the front end. It may be because I have not properly linked something. I'm still not sure how I actually link the member's profile via URL here? I did not want the member to have to fill in their unique profile URL in their profile field, but rather for this to happen automatically on the back end. Is there a way to do this dynamically through the user's account when they are logged in?
Thanks again,
Katie

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Katie,

The "Button" block added in the "Template for Businesses" is working correctly, as you can see on the single post page of "Hilton Consulting, LLC."
( I've added the related user's profile URL manually in the "Member Profile URL" field )

To make this process dynamic, you'll need some customization, where instead of saving the user's name and the profile URL separately in two fields, you can just save that user's ID and then programmatically get the name and the profile URL from that ID.
( example: hidden link )

To get the most accurate and up-to-date information about the functions and features offered by a third-party plugin like "BuddyBoss", it is recommended to get consult its official support and documentation.

If you need help around automatically saving the user's ID in a custom field attached to his/her "Bussiness" post, you're welcome to share the detailed workflow of how the users will be registering on the website and creating their "Bussiness" post.

regards,
Waqar

The topic ‘[Closed] Split: Linking template custom field with BuddyPress member profile’ is closed to new replies.