Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Spinner isn't working

This support ticket is created 4 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Christos 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I have already updated the toolset blocks and views to the latest version but still the spinner doesn't work.

hidden link

I expected to see the spinner working after the latest update

Without the spinner, visitors/users can't understand that more results will load soon, they think that the site has problem. This is a bad user experience, i'm having some problems with my client. I thought that you would resolve this issue but nothing changed.

Can you elaborate where and when you expect a spinner to display?
On the page you shared - once it finished loading, which takes a fair while - if I search by anything, it loads the results immediately, leaving no time for any spinner to display (those display only if results aren't loaded).

Can you explain where you inserted the spinner and when it should appear?
Maybe you have a staging site online where you can show me this also as logged in Administrator?

Then we can figure out why the spinner isn't showing if supposed to.

PS:
I activated a private reply in case you have a staging site to share so we can see the issue on the backend as well.

I am receiving ERR_TIMED_OUT errors on the site.
It was slow-ish before, but this time it timed out it seems.

However, the problem you describe seem related to Ajax pagination with infinite scroll, where if you "supercharge" the pagination by scrolling down fast, you expect a spinner but see none.

I can replicate this, however, I believe this was the same since it was implemented (infinite scrolling).
Other pagination methods do use the spinners, as I tested. Infinite scroll does not.

I will check with my colleagues if we can make them use the spinners too, which makes sense since we have no visual feedback that there are items loading if there are items loading and this considering the infinite scroll always has a delay, it is never instantaneous.

I'll let you know here any news in regard I get.

I can see you have reported this a whole long time ago https://toolset.com/forums/topic/is-it-possible-infinite-scroll/, I apologise in the name of Toolset that this happened, it seems Waqar missed your message, and on top, it seems amongst all spinners that were tested the infinite scroll, wasn't.

I'll look that this gets fixed as fast as possible or we can provide some sort of explanation and workaround.

Thank you for your patience.

Hi Beda,

Thank you, waiting for any solution.

So, it turns out the spinner actually works, but I am not really fond of the "solution" as it is simply not applicable in the real world.
We have a task open internally to make the infinite spinner more "real world" compatible 🙂 and I will update you once that task is complete so you can use the spinner as expected.

Right now, you'd have to throttle your internet speed to see it working, which is really not what I want to suggest 🙂

I will keep you in the loop about the progress made here.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

Today's update of Views includes improvements to infinite scrolling and the appearance of spinners, could you please check after updating that you can see the improvements?

Thanks for your patience.

Hi Nigel, I've just updated the toolset blocks and types to my staging website, i can't understand if something has changed to the spinner functionality. Staging site > loop page > hidden link

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

I visited that link and quickly scrolled down to the bottom of the page to trigger an infinite-scroll update of results.

For the most part the next batch of results were added almost immediately (within half a second), and when occasionally it took longer than that I briefly saw a spinner.

If I apply any of the filters then the spinner appears straight away and then the results update. If I paginate through the results I find the same as described above, mostly the results appear more-or-less straight away, and very occasionally a spinner briefly appears when it takes longer than some fraction of a second for the results to appear.

So I think it is working as intended.

If you see something specific that you think isn't working correctly, can you please describe the details of how to reproduce it?

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.