Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Speeding up Toolset Grids

This support ticket is created 2 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Pete 2 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
Speed test 1.png

Hi there,

Dario wrote a very interesting article recently all about performance:
https://toolset.com/2021/04/toolset-blocks-1-5-faster-sites-for-better-seo-ranking/#comment-634867

This interesting as Toolset pages we have are always heavy and get slammed by GT Matrix, see attached.

Is there anything we are missing regarding optimizing the page here for example:
https://toolset.com/2021/04/toolset-blocks-1-5-faster-sites-for-better-seo-ranking/#comment-634867

We have set the images in the View to the size needed yet they still load the original.
There is very little on this page, its built using Kadence, not Elementor.
It has Lazy Loading enabled.

Yet all the pages we have like it, which there are many all load slow.

Any thoughts would be great. It's always been a frustration that we can never get these pages to perform a little better.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Peter, you pasted the same link twice, can you update the second link to the page in question?

I'm not sure how much we can do here in support, but perhaps we can take a look at the backend to see how you have set up the page to see if there is anything obvious.

Let me set up a private reply to get credentials from you, if you are happy for us to do that. Make sure you have a backup.

Hi Nigel,

So I did, sorry. Here it is: hidden link

Nigel
Supporter

fonts.png
image-sizes.png
js-scripts.png

Hi Pete

I checked your site in GTmetrix myself, because in the other tabs it gives more details about why the score is poor and what you can do to improve it.

Here are the things it reports, with my comments.

In the Structure tab, the main issue is the size of the site, total payload of 4.8Mb.

The HTML for the page itself is very large (295Kb).

I loaded your site in my browser and then checked the page source, and the key reason that initial HTML payload is so large appears to be because a great deal of CSS has been inlined in the head. I'm guessing you are using some tool for this. It has the advantage of generating fewer server requests than external CSS files, but means that these cannot be cached by the browser. So it can marginally improve the first-time visit experience (and score on GTmetrix) but at the cost of slower load times for subsequent visits.

It's also obscuring what CSS is being loaded, but from the page source it appears to me that it is loading some Toolset CSS that is only relevant on the backend, and I don't see the same on my local test site where I have a page displaying a View, for example, so I'm not sure how to account for it appearing on your site, but it may be related to this tool.

There is similarly a lot of CSS from other plugins, notably Elementor, but others, too, and it may be that not all of it is required on the page. I can see inlined styles for pricing tables, for example, but there are no pricing tables on the page. It may be that some plugins load such CSS indiscriminately on all pages. We do that ourselves, because CSS belongs in the page head, and while the server builds the page, at the time of creating the head it's not yet known what will be in the page body, and so some styling is loaded in case it is needed.

You can check with the individual plugins if they offer some means to control when their assets are loaded, so that you only load them on pages you know they are needed. If not, you can use a plugin such as https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-asset-clean-up/ which will let you specify on each page whether assets that are loaded should be allowed or not.

You can see the problem more clearly with the JS assets included on the page, as shown in the screenshot from the browser dev tools. Only 3 of those many scripts are Toolset scripts (although a couple of core scripts such as pagination could be required as dependencies).

Do you really need on that page kadence blocks accordion scripts, scripts for jet tricks, oooh-boi-ghosts and swipers etc. etc.?

There are a lot of assets being loaded, and they all need parsing and oft-times executing, possibly for no reason.

Some of them are certainly necessary—Google Maps appears several times as a cause of concern, but that's unavoidable if you want the interactive map on the page. Likewise your Tidio chat widget, it's providing functionality on your site, but it comes at a cost in terms of performance scores.

This seems the biggest issue of concern to me, the number of third-party assets included on that page that in many cases seem unnecessary (and which are not Toolset).

The other issue regarding payload flagged as an issue are your images.

It's not the image size, though. As you can see in the second screenshot, these are not 2Mb full-sized images that are being loaded, they are appropriately downsized images. They don't appear to be optimised though. I downloaded one (Jasmine Boatshed) which was 113kb on my laptop, and passed it through an optimisation app which reduced it to 90kb.

So I'd recommend you use an image optimisation plugin. (I think SmushIt is probably the most well known, but there are many). GTMetrix also suggests you could slice over 1Mb off payload size by using modern image formats (e.g. webp) instead of jpgs. (The pro version of SmushIt can convert your jpgs to webp format at the same time.)

Looking at the source code of the page it also appears that you are loading both versions 4 and 5 of fontawesome. Go to Toolset > Settings to check which version Toolset is loading (on new sites it will use the latest version, i.e. version 5). Check what else is loading fontawesome and see if you can update the settings to that both load the same version.

Also, do you really need to load so many fonts on this page? (In the screenshot, you can see that the browser dev tools show 12 fonts being loaded.)

I expect if you work through the above you should be able to make a significant improvement in your performance scores.

Goodness.

Thank you very much for this Nigel. Ok, this morning we loaded PrefMatters and are slowly working through pages using their script manager function where we can remove stuff not needed. I will keep my eye out for much of what you have highlighted.

Looks like we have added things unintentionally and then the bloat monster Elementor adds the rest.

We do optimise images before uploading using TinyPNG however an issue with Imagify recently means we have not optimised further on site for a week or so.

Blimey, we didn't realise 12 fonts were being loaded.

Over a year ago in another post certain it was you who mentioned Oxygen. We have only just discovered using OxyNija we can now use their slider to work with Oxygen's Modal....we for weeks could never find a way of using a Toolset Image Gallery custom field with Oxygen, they only integrate with ACF.

This means, we'll tidy up Elementor sites for now, and rebuild everything from scratch in Oxygen.

No doubt we'll make some mistakes however your list of issues will certainly help.

Thank you for your time ref above.

Pete

Nigel
Supporter

When Full-Site-Editing appears in WP 5.8 it may be a game changer, giving you the ability to design the whole page, header, footer and all, using blocks and without recourse to external page builders. Blocks isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it may be worth persevering with given the increasing focus on performance.

We tried out Blocks and use with Kadence for a little added flexibility. We do find it limiting.

Ok a Toolset with Blocks side question, can Blocks display all the dynamic data produced by Toolset Custom Fields, including gallery fields?

They display Views fine, however galleries we never thought possible.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.