Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Site Options Pages using Types Fields

This support ticket is created 6 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices.

Last updated by Peter 6 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

Many people have requested this feature form your guys, and I've now hit a roadblock trying to find a proper solution, so I'm opening this as a suggested improvement as well, with as much detail and reasoning as I can provide:

The community needs a way to create One-off Options Pages for Global Site-Specific Options, for admins and/or clients to change that are not specific to the Theme itself. This is where the Theme Customizer is not appropriate. An example might be social media network URLs or client phone/email to be used throughout the site.

Toolset Types already has an entire Fields API built in, so it's inappropriate to introduce yet another fields framework into our sites, adding a ton of bloat and potential incompatibilities. Doing so enqueues Javascripts, Field Classes, Styles, etc for dozens of field types for 2 similar Field Frameworks. WordPress already has an API for creating settings pages, so I don't see a reason why Toolset doesn't have the option to create Options Pages and attach Fields to them. In fact, it seems like this would be useful for your own settings pages as a base framework.

Advanced Custom Fields plugin allows this exact thing alongside their Fields API, but it is not an acceptable option to install both Toolset Types and ACF, as they do almost the same thing.

Options Framework plugin has had a lot of complaints about site breakage upon upgrade, and many people are afraid to use it, not to mention the same bloat issue mentioned above.

So I see 2 potential routes here:

1. Will you guys consider adding Custom Options Pages support to Types?

and/or

2. Can you point developers in the direction of how we might go about using Types' Fields API to add Types Fields to a WP Options Page ourselves? (is this possible?)

As always, thanks for your help.

Other threads I've found so far asking for this behavior:

- https://toolset.com/forums/topic/create-options-page-with-global-attributes/
- https://toolset.com/forums/topic/feature-requests-options-page-and-related-fields/

Other thoughts:

1. It may even be helpful to store Type Options Pages data as a hidden Custom Post Type if it fits more easily within your framework. Not sure if the WP Community would be in line with that route, but it's an option.

Thanks for the feedback, I assign this ticket to our supporter Minesh, he manage the feature request of Types plugin

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello and thank you for sharing your concern. I will send your feedback and concern regarding this new feature for assessment. Our developers will review it and if the feature is accepted you will see the new feature published with near future release.

Please note that there is no ETA on this but I will get in touch with you regarding further updates if the feature is accepted or not.

Thank you!

Is there any update on this topic?

Any developements on this front? A global options page would really be usefull feature. There's a competitor on the market with this feature, FYI.

+1 For this feature. I see, ACF has this feature, but no CPT and taxonomies support there. So a Types+ACF combination would be the best. Come on guys, it is a no brainer, that this feature would make Toolset Types the best plugin in this market.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.