Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Site not displaying correctly.

This support ticket is created 7 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 18 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by cristianR-3 7 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I am trying to: Update all plugins and theme

I visited this URL: ambiancepfp.com

I expected to see:Design was Centered

Instead, I got:Design gets pushed to the left

I updated Genesis, I later updated all the Toolset plugins, but my site still does not display correctly. It is supposed to be centered and now it got pushed to the left.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Christian,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

Let me see how best I can assist you with this.

Would you mind providing me with a link to the website so that I can see the issue ?

Also could you provide me with a screenshot of the Layout of the page used for this.

Thanks,
Shane

Ok, I managed to rollback the version of Genesis that broke Layouts, the issue that I am having is that I can't get Layouts to work. Every time I click on something to edit, the interface simply darkens but nothing else happens.

The website is: hidden link

Layouts is a mess. I can't apply classes at all. They simply will not take. Other changes will work, but classes are not being written. It is not a cache issue. I checked that.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Cristian

Sorry for the problems you are experiencing.

There are two issues here.

The first is that the layouts update from Genesis changed the markup structure which has broken some of the styling for the layout (another client described the change here: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/update-to-genesis-2-4-0-breaks-layouts/)

The issue has been escalated and we will need to make some changes to the Genesis integration plugin to accommodate them.

The second issue I believe you are having is a bug in the update to Layouts which we are also aware of and has already been escalated.

In this case when you try to add custom classes to layouts cells and rows they are not being persisted correctly in the database and existing custom classes previously assigned are lost during edits. (If your problem is different then please let me know so I can investigate further.)

I'm adding this thread of yours to the escalated tickets of each issue so that I can advise you when there are any updates available.

Nigel, thanks for getting back to me. So if I understand correctly the issues are to be addressed in a future release of your software? I got the website to work by adding the class that was not being updated in Layouts into a Views content template. I also rolled back the version of Genesis to 2.3 as to keep compatibility. I just wished that I would have gotten a warning telling me not to update anything on the site. My mistake was not to backup the website, which I usually do. Live an learn.

I would assume that Toolset will let me know when both issues are addressed and I can go back to updating the site?

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Cristian

Both issues just came to light in the past few days.

I have added this thread to both of the internal tickets created for each issue and so I will advise you whenever anything changes with either issue. I would expect the bug in layouts to be addressed more promptly than the Genesis compatibility issue.

Very well Nigel. I would also think that the Layout bug would be easer to address. Please do keep me posted.

Thank you.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Cristian

Both issues should have been fixed the release of version 1.7 of the Genesis integration plugin together with 1.8.6 of Layouts.

Keep an eye out for an update notifications on your plugins page.

If that doesn't appear or you don't want to wait you can download the zipped plugin files from your downloads page (wp-types.com/my-account/downloads). You can use the Upload button on the Add New Plugins page to add the zipped versions to your site, but that requires deleting the old plugins first.

If you have FTP access you can upload the unzipped files to your plugins folder and overwrite the old plugin version.

Please re-test the issue and let me know if you have any continuing problems.

I can't seem to be able to install the Genesis Layouts Integration plugin update. It simply keeps on stating that there is an update available. I even deleted the old plugin manually and placed the new updated files in there place. It still did not work. I am working on a local install, but something is still to be fixed.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Cristian

Can you clarify what you mean by "it still did not work" when you manually replaced the Genesis Layouts Integration plugin?

You don't see the plugin in the list of plugins or you can't activate it?

Note that updating the version number in the theme file was overlooked, so it still says 1.6, but if you check the change_log.md file in the plugin folder it should say that it is version 1.7.

That oversight should be fixed soon.

Allow me to elaborate. Basically no method of upgrading the plugin has any effect. The version number continues to be 1.6. Even deactivating the plugin, deleting the files manually and replacing them with the 1.7 files fails to have any effect.

So in other words, after performing the updated, I get the success message, but after refreshing the page, it still states that I need to install the upgrade 1.7.

I even deleted the plugin and reinstalled it. Has no effect. It is almost like if your server was downloading the 1.6 version in it's place.

The fix did not fix compatibility with the latest version of Genesis. The structure still messed up as far as the CSS and mark up go.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Cristian

Can I just clarify that you last comment—that the structure is still messed up—refers to when you have updated the integration plugin (and Layouts)?

If you are working locally, with the Genesis Integration Plugin, check the folder contents.

You will see change_log.md which should indicate that it is version 1.7

If so, you can edit the main plugin file itself—layouts-genesis.php—so that the description at the top of the file should say version 1.7 which should stop the update notices.

If that is the case then I should take a look at your site myself to see the problem.

It would be helpful if you create two pages, one with a layout assigned and one without, such that they would look the same if the integration plugin was working correctly, and where I can compare them and see that they are not.

As you are working on your local server you will need to create a duplicate of your site and upload that to a public url (e.g. dropbox or google drive) where I can retrieve it.

Please use one of the following two free plugins to create a snapshot of your site. You may want to set up a temporary admin account for me before you do which you can later delete.

* Duplicator. You will need to create and upload both the installer and archive packages as shown in the demo video on their plugin page: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/. You can omit un-required files such as .log, .zip files etc.

* All-in-One WP Migration. This is simple to use and is less prone to fail because of server settings than Duplicator. https://wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-wp-migration/. But note I can only import archives up to 512Mb in size. If they are not relevant to your issue, you can omit media files which will reduce your archive size.

I will mark your next reply as private so that you can give me the url to retrieve the backup files.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.