Skip Navigation

[Resolved] showing a restricted page link in the menu

This support ticket is created 5 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 5 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hi,

We have two pages that are restricted to members only.

So, I have created an Access group containing the two pages and a Content template to which it is redirected when a user is not logged in... That section works.

The problem is that the menu element that links to that page is not visible when we are not logged in...

What I would want would be to have a menu item called "Livres de pièces" that links to site/livres-de-pieces and if the user is not logged in, it redirects to site/enregistrement instead...

There is no setting in Access that allows me that. How can I make it work?

I've managed to make it work with the "If Menu" plugin, but that forces me to create two menu items for each element... So, I would prefer a better way...

Ideally, you should add that as an option (ex: "Show link in the menu") in a future release of Access... You could put that in the menu's creation (it would make more sense than in the Access page or the page/post itself)...

What should work is to keep your Access settings (it's those that hide the native Menu Page Link, it's expected) and instead create a Custom Link in the WordPress Menu.
That custom Link can link to the page, Access won't intercept that until the user clicks on the link and requests that page.
Then, Access will interfere and put the CT you set as an error in the middle.

If you require much more advanced Control over Menus, depending on user roles, I personally use "Nav Menu Roles", https://wordpress.org/plugins/nav-menu-roles/
However they haven't updated the last 5 months, I hope this plugin isn't abandoned.

Thank you for your reply.

The custom menu link solution is working, but I admit that having this intermediate page (Content template in my case) isn't the best option...

The "If Menu" plugin does the same thing and has more options than "Nav Menu Roles" and has been updated 3 weeks ago... You should try that one...

Again, the best option would be to have the possibility of having the choice to show or not the menu... and in Access itself, the possibility to redirect to a URL, instead of just a template or Content template... And that should be by page, since in my case I have two different pages (though I could create two groups, but it would be better to have that option in the page edition itself to redirect to whichever page we want...

Thanks for your input. If you'd like to request this feature is added to Access, we have a process where you can submit a feature request. Create a new ticket in the forum using the option "Suggest an improvement". Our developers will analyze your request and decide if it's something we can implement. I can't guarantee your idea will be implemented, but this is the first step.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.