Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Show Child Post Count on Parent Author Dashboard

This support ticket is created 3 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by aaronW-4 3 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I have created a View in a dashboard that displays a parent authors posts. I would like to display the number of child posts in the view beside each parent post.
Is there any documentation that you are following?
There are a few tickets about this but I'm not sure any of them accomplish this.
Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Do you have a child view that will list out the children for each parent ? If not then you can create a child view then add it to the Parent view so that it will list out the children of that parent.

However instead of populating the view with the post information you can just add this shortcode [wpv-found-count]
https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views/views-shortcodes/#wpv-found-count

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

I was attempting to add a new view for the child posts inside the parent view... It is saying that nested views are not allowed. Am I supposed to add the child view somewhere else?

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Aaron,

If you are using Blocks to create your view then you won't be able to nest the views.

In order to get the count the views need to be nested if you are listing out the parent. In a case like this you will need to remake your view in the classic editor for views.

To do this you can go to Toolset -> Settings -> Editing Experience and select the 3rd option. Upon refreshing the page you should see Toolset -> Views.

You can then remake your views from there.

Thanks,
Shane

I was able to set Editing Experience to both block and legacy. That allowed me to create the child view the old way and paste the code into the view block.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.