Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Separating view and filter

This support ticket is created 4 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 4 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

I am attempting to set up a View so users can search and filter listings and was hoping someone can help with a couple questions I have.

1. On the homescreen I want to include the searchbox.

I have managed to do this, except the "Go" label has reverted to "Submit", and is not within the white box.

Here is how I would like it to look - hidden link

Does anyone know how I can fix this formatting? I had copied and pasted the shortcode and CSS.

2. I would like to direct users from the homescreen to this page for results = hidden link

How do I do this when I have copied the searchbox via shortcode? (If Elementor it would be easy, but as searchbox and filters are in same view this is not possible)

Please help! Thanks!

I should have mentioned I am using WordPress, Ocean WP and Elementor Pro.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Catriona,

This should be fine now. I've redirected the search to the correct page.

All that was needed was to set the page when you are adding the search bar to the template.

Also i'm not seeing where the search button reverted to "submit" it still shows fine to me.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane, thanks for the quick reply.

For some reason it still doesn't seem to be redirecting for me. I just had a play around with it, sorry if this messed things up - I am not touching it now! Can you please help fix it again? I think becuase I've pasted in shortcode instead of using the Elementor Toolset element it is maybe causing itssues.

The submit is now "go" which is great, although ideally I'd like to have the "go" button inside the search bar, aligned right with the edges. Is this possible?

Thank you!

Shane
Supporter

Hi Catriona,

It still redirects with no issues, When I preform a search it redirects me to here hidden link

For the search on the homepage go button You will need to adjust the margins using CSS.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

You redirected the live (current) home page, not the test home page. I have rectified this, so it is ok.

Can you please help direct the search box here - hidden link
So that results are shown here - hidden link

I copied the search box code in only (so other filters were not visible). This means there isn't a drop-down in Elementor for us to select the page which results are displayed at. Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks

Hi Shane,

Sorry I realised I left the wrong home link - completely my fault!!

I have now created two separate views. One for desktop/tablet and another for mobile. Can you please help direct:

- The desktop/tablet search box shown here - hidden link

- And the mobile search box shown here (visible on mobile only) - hidden link

Many thanks,
Cat

Shane
Supporter

Screenshot 2019-07-15 at 9.18.28 AM.png
correct.png
not correct.png

Hi Catriona,

Let me show you how to do it.

First have a look at my screenshot. The first one is not correct on how you insert a view into elementor.

How you have it on the homepage here hidden link is the correct way to insert the filters only.

Finally to set the search to target a specific page you will open the Custom Search settings tab on the frontend. See Screenshot

Under the Select the page to display the results just search for the page where you want the results to be displayed.

Thanks,
Shane

Thanks Shane,

There are two views I'm working with:
1. NL Search Desktop
2. NL Search Mobile

Each of these views includes both a Search box and Search filers (taxonomy options).

Is there any way I can carve out only the Search box to be shown on the new homepage i.e. without the Search filters? This is what I had attempted to do with copying and pasting the shortcode.

How I have it on hidden link was to create a new View for the search bar only. It sounds like this is what you're suggesting?

Just want to check before I go ahead and create them,
Thanks!

Shane
Supporter

Hi Catriona,

I see thats what you did but how would we tell the view which page is the results page if you copy and paste just the filters?

Secondly a workaround for this is that you can just create duplicate views with the filters you want and just point them all to the same results page.

This is actually a better solution.

Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.