Skip Navigation

[Resolved] SELECTING A LIST OF EVENTS WITH DATE = THIS YEAR

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
SELECTING A LIST OF EVENTS WITH DATE = THIS YEAR

Solution:
As custom date field value stored as UNIX timestamp, you need to use view's filter wpv_filter_query to filter date by month and year.

You can find the proposed solution, in this case, with the following reply:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/selecting-a-list-of-events-with-date-this-year/#post-1112870

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views-filters/#wpv_filter_query

This support ticket is created 5 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Silvia 5 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author
filterbydate.png

Hello, I am building an event management website for my company that assigns different events (and tasks in order to plan those events ) to different workmates, based on their department. Every event has a custom field Event Date which is a Types Date field. I would like to create a view that filters events by YEAR based on the event date, tho show events occurring, say, in 2018. Since I would like it to be a dynamic view, I didin't use "constant" and instead I tried to use the "date equals UNSIGNED This_Year as indicated in https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/date-filters/ but it's not working. What am I doing wrong? Since I need to create a few more views filtering by date parts, I guess once I have seen how to do this kind of comparison with year, then it will be the same for every element of the date.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Well - I would like to know from which year to which year you want to filter your results?

Do you want a filter OR you want multiple views where you are passing a year to filter by?

Hello and thanks for your reply. I will try to clarify my problem for you a little better.
Because every user has different tasks assigned to them based on their role in the Company in order to plan an event, I have a "dashboard" page in the website, whose content is based on the user logged in at the moment. I want to be able to use Views to display different events based on certain conditions. Example: We're in September and it's the year 2018; the user that visit the dashboard today should be able to see a view with all the events occurring this month, and a view with all the events planned for 2018 or maybe a view with all the events that took place in August.
I would like to know if it's possible to achieve this filtering Events dynamically by a certain year or month based on the "Event Date" custom field I created. The field is of "DATE" type. How can I tell Views "filter all the events whose month in the Event Date corresponds to the current month/year/day"? I thought I could make the comparison using "EVENT DATE IS AN UNSIGNED ELEMENT EQUAL TO THIS_YEAR()/THIS_MONTH()/NEXT_YEAR() etc..." but it's not working. Is there a way to achieve this via Views filters?

Minesh
Supporter

Well - to filter a view using month, for example:

[wpv-view name="view-filter-by-month" month="1"]   // for january

[wpv-view name="view-filter-by-month" month="3"]   // for march

As custom date field value stored as UNIX timestamp, you need to use view's filter wpv_filter_query .

For example - please add following code to your current theme's functions.php file:

add_filter('wpv_filter_query', 'func_filter_by_month', 10, 3);  
function func_filter_by_month($query_args, $view_settings, $view_id) {

global $WP_Views;
  global $wpdb;

if($view_id == 9999)  {
     $passed_month =  $WP_Views->view_shortcode_attributes[0]['month'];   // getting shortcode attribute value

$sql = "SELECT post_id FROM ".$wpdb->prefix."postmeta,".$wpdb->prefix."posts  
                WHERE (".$wpdb->prefix."postmeta.post_id = ".$wpdb->prefix."posts.ID)
                AND ".$wpdb->prefix."postmeta.meta_key = 'wpcf-REPLACE-DATE-FIELD-SLUG'
                AND month(FROM_UNIXTIME(".$wpdb->prefix."postmeta.meta_value)) = ".$passed_month."
                AND ".$wpdb->prefix."posts.post_type = 'student'
                AND ((".$wpdb->prefix."posts.post_status = 'publish' OR ".$wpdb->prefix."posts.post_status = 'private'))";
        $res = $wpdb->get_col($sql);

if(!empty($res)){
            $query_args['post__in'] = $res;

}
   }
return $query_args;
}

Where:
- Replace 9999 with your original view ID,
- REPLACE-DATE-FIELD-SLUG with your original custom date field slug
- Replace student with your post type slug

More info:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views-filters/#wpv_filter_query

Can you be a little more specific on how to go from creating a view to incorporating the code you provided? And in your example it looks like I know the month I wanna query, but what if I want that month to be dynamically set based on the current month?

Minesh
Supporter

Can you be a little more specific on how to go from creating a view to incorporating the code you provided?
==> Well - the code I shared, you need to add it to your current theme's functions.php file. Do not forget the replace original view ID and other stuff.
==> Setup your view and build your view's loop output and save your view.

And in your example it looks like I know the month I wanna query, but what if I want that month to be dynamically set based on the current month?
=> If you want to use dynamically - the current month. You can use date function.

$current_month  =  date('n');

And replace $passsed_month with $current_month code.

When I asked you to be more specific I meant it wasn't clear from the code you provided how to use the shortcode. You didn't specify that "view-filter-by-month" was an example name and had to be replaced with my actual view name. Anyway I figured it out myself, and it's working. I will try to further customize those functions in order to query the database with current month and year. My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.