Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Searching Users Profiles

This support ticket is created 5 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Author
Member Edit Profile Ashampoo_Snap_Tuesday, 19 March 2019_05h31m17s_004_.jpg
Edit Profile Ashampoo_Snap_Tuesday, 19 March 2019_05h30m06s_003_Chrome Legacy Window.jpg

Tell us what you are trying to do? Site is a Carer's Time Swap Hub and I want members to be able add their own profile and browse or search other members profiles so pages are My Profile, Edit My Profile, Browse Profile and Search Profiles. Members can then communicate using the messaging module to arrange sharing care arrangements. Access to the Members area pages is controlled by Memberpress membership plugin.

Is there any documentation that you are following? As it is not quite a membership site or a classified site I was trying to follow both plus some of the preset modules. I made up custom fields as posts but then got stuck on the Add / Edit Profile so I know have all the custom fields as user fields and thought I had it but can't do the Browse page, all dummy data is showing the logged in user details and the Add Profile form although showing in my admin login is not viewable as a VIP member

Is there a similar example that we can see? I initially used a Dating software thinking this was the closest match but it was just too bloated.

What is the link to your site? hidden link

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hi Kim

You mention a few problems you are running into but I don't have a concrete issue to deal with.

I'm not too familiar with MemberPress so I don't know how it affects what you are doing, whether it is used exclusively to restrict access to certain pages (which you can do with Access), or if it does something else that has a bearing on how you implement your site.

In any case, WordPress doesn't provide for profile pages, so while it is straightforward to create a "My Profile" page which displays user fields for the current logged-in user, it is less so to display the profile of a different user, because there is no "site.com/user/fred" equivalent URL structure as exists for posts, e.g. "site.com/profile/fred" which would display a profile post called fred.

The typical solution here is to create "profile" posts which map one-to-one to users (with users the authors of their corresponding profile post), as described here: https://toolset.com/documentation/post-relationships/how-to-create-custom-searches-and-relationships-for-users/

That then makes it easier to create profile pages for individual users as well as facilitating searches based on profile fields (e.g. show me carers within 20 miles who can speak French) that you would otherwise be unable to do with user fields.

So I would start by setting up your site on that basis.

If you have any specific questions as you do so then please ask.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.