Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Search multiple fields using one text box

This support ticket is created 7 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 -
- 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jamesH-21 7 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Noman.

Author

I am trying to:
I'd like to know if it is possible to set up a Parametric search so it looks at two custom fields rather than one.

So if I had 2 post fields titled Description and Services the and a text field in the search titled keyword it would search both fields rather than having two text field boxes asking for key word in description and keyword in services.

Or is it possible to search content+1 custom field?

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi James,

Thank you for contacting Toolset Support.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to have one Search Box to filter on multifile Custom Fields.

Custom Fields and taxonomies require that you use the predefined filter options that have been made available for them.

1. However, upon searching the Forums I found that some user was able to do this using some custom code, we can’t guarantee that code but may be you want to take a look and try:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/parametric-text-search-field-on-multiple-custom-fields/#post-350381

2. If your requirement is not fulfilled, you can also contact our certified partners for your customization needs: https://toolset.com/consultant/

Have a great weekend,
Thank you

Are there any plans to add this in the future?

Is it possible for a custom field to be split into 2 sections? So it could have:

Description:

Services/Products:

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi James,

Regarding the possibilities of having this function in the future, this may not be added in future because it will defeat the purpose of multiple filters.

Regarding the split of custom fields. our senior support suggests that's also not possible with Toolset plugin.

I understand that this may not be the answer you are looking to hear, but your specific case is not possible with Toolset default features and I apologize for that.

Thank you

I think that being able to use one input box to search multiple fields would be useful, from a user perspective - and have additional 'advanced search functions' so you can search individual post fields.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.