Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Search function issue

This support ticket is created 3 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Minesh 3 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

I have a business directory hidden link

When I search in the text search option on this page for example for Butchers, it only brings back 2 entries, both with butchers in the title. If i search by filtering by the taxonomy of butchers i get more results.

I am concerned that if people just type search for butchers and it only shows 2 results then others will get missed and potentially not see the benefit of the directory. Is it possible to allow the search box to look at the title and business type (taxonomy) or is there somewhere else i should be putting key search terms?

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

I would like to know how you added the text search with only post title or post title with the body.

As I understand, you want to display the same results when we filter the results using the taxonomy filter and select "Butchers", the same results should display when we search as text search with the keyword "Butchers" - correct? If yes:

You can use Relevanssi integration to extend your search.
More info:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/searching-texts-custom-fields-views-relevanssi/

But I would first like to have temporary access details to review your setup.
*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

I checked on your install and I tried to search with the "Butchers" keyword in the backend and as you can see it returns the two results.
=> hidden link

And you will see the same results when you search with the "Butchers" keyword on the frontend.
=> hidden link

So, as per the Toolset it works as expected. If you want to search in taxonomy terms, you need to use the Relevanssi plugin. They allow searching within the taxonomy terms. I've installed the free version on relevanssi plugin on your site but to search in terms it looks like you may need premium version. You can check with their support.
=> hidden link

Hi Minesh,
Is it not searching the description field as part of the text search because its not the standard WordPress field and instead a custom field?

This could be a really big issue for me.... Will it search the tags field as standard if i enter the tag butchers for all entries?

Minesh
Supporter

Is it not searching the description field as part of the text search because its not the standard WordPress field and instead a custom field?
==>
Yes, that is the issue.

It seems you are mixing multiple things here and the content you setup is not accurate yet. For example, please check the following post:
=> hidden link
- For above post, the taxonomy term "Butchers" is set but with Description custom field, there is no "Butchers" keyword available so the above post will be found only when you filter with taxonomy term "Butchers".

So what would you sugegst to resolve this? Shoul di move all text from my cistom field to the standard wordpress description box?

It seems to work if i put the content in the normal editor section rather than the custom description field.

Is there a way to duplicate the content from my custom fild into the editor section easily so i dont have to copy and paste all of the 150 records....

Ok so i copied all of the custom descriptions into the editor space and this appears to have partially solved the issue. Now i am getting the opposite.... For example if i put the word GIN in the search, we should only see 1 Gin producer and potentially some pubs that serve gin.... however i am seeing multiple results, now i am guessing because somewhere in the editor text the partial word gin (like begin) is in there somewhere.

How do i stop this?

I am also getting a blue overlay and spinning icon when i click search now? Is this new as just did an update?

Minesh
Supporter

Do you mean that when you search for "GIN" it should search for the exact word "GIN" not "original" where the work original contain the "gin". - correct?
If yes:
- You need to understand that the search will work as standard WordPress search works. so, if you search for gin, it will search in both post title and body (not in taxonomy). If you want to modify how WordPress default search behaviour you need to write custom code for that and that is beyond the scope of our support policy.

If you want to match the exact word (in post title and post body) then let me know, I can help you with that.

I am also getting a blue overlay and spinning icon when i click search now? Is this new as just did an update?
==>
I've removed that as you are doing text search that is not required.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.