Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Search all posts for the current cpt post title

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I have a custom post type called "Swimmers", and each Swimmer single post page title is the name of the Swimmer. I would like to show a View of standard WordPress Posts on the Swimmer single post page, and I would like to filter that View using the Swimmer's name.

Solution: Use a text search Query Filter and pass the current post's title into the filter as a shortcode attribute.

[wpv-view name="books-with-text-search" search="[wpv-post-title]"]

Relevant Documentation: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/passing-arguments-to-views/

This support ticket is created 6 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 6 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hi,
I run a site for a swimming club. Now we have a custom page for all swimmers wherein their details are displayed ( A single post content template is being used for this). A Swimmer is a CPT wherein details of swimmers are stored.

Now in the page of the swimmer I wish to show all posts (blog pots) wherein the swimmer' name appears. What is the best way to do this as when I do a full post search I need to enter the text to be searched can this be replaced by [Wpv-post-title] or the title of the current post where this view is to be displayed.

Vijay

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 2.56.52 PM.png

Hi, you can create a View of Posts, add a Query Filter using Post Search, and choose "Search for a text set by a Views shortcode attribute search". See the attached screenshot for an example of this Query Filter. If you cannot see the Query Filter section in your View editor, click "Screen Options" in the top right corner of the editor screen. You can enable the Query Filter section here.

Use the Loop Output editor to create the list of post titles or links. Then insert this View in your Swimmer Content Template using the "search" shortcode attribute like this:

[wpv-view name="books-with-text-search" search="[wpv-post-title]"]

This is called "passing arguments into Views" and we have some additional information about this technique here: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/passing-arguments-to-views/

Let me know if you have any questions about that.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.