Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Repeater fields group does not show when creating frontend post forms

This support ticket is created 3 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do? creating a recipe form and have a repeater field with the quantity and also the measurement unit in it, so customer puts the amount and then chooses the unit of measure and then press the "+" to add the next ingredient, but this group is not showing on the front end hidden link

Is there any documentation that you are following? custom fields and post forms

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site? hidden link

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Repeating field group is managed as one-to-many post-relationship internally. So, each item of repeatable field group is a single post, but using Toolset form you can create/edit only one post in each form, it can not create the multiple posts in one Toolset form.

That is why you need to create a new form to create a new entry for repeating field group.

Please check the following Doc and try to follow the steps:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/creating-and-displaying-repeatable-field-groups/front-end-forms-for-repeatable-field-groups/

Thank you for your response, either I am completely stupid or I am missing something crucial, I believe I have followed the criteria you have set out above (I am not using Blocks, as my client is not familiar enough with it) I am using Classic editor but I cannot get the ingredients section (repeater field) to display in the front-end form AT ALL, I have deleted and restarted many times.
If you require log in details please let me know so I can see where I am going wrong, I am not wanting you to do this, I just require a bit of hand holding a to get me through this one as I have another 6 varieties to do I believe.
Thank you for your patience.

Minesh
Supporter

Have you created a new form to create a new entry for the Repeating field group?

As I understand, when you create a new recipe (the ingredient is setup as repeating field group) and you aim to add the ingredient when you submit the recipe - correct? If yes:
- You need to have two forms. One to submit recipe and one form to submit ingredient. Once you submit the recipe, you need to add a Add New link using which you can add the related ingredient for your submitted recipe .

Yes, I'm happy to check on your install if you can share access details. Please share the problem URL as well if its different from which you shared in your initial post.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

Thank you for sharing access details but I see you do not shared the wp-admin access details. Maybe you miss to share it.

Can you please share admin access details. I see you shared FTP access details, I even try it as admin access details but not working.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

Unfortunately, when I try to login to admin using the access details you shared I see the following error message:
=> Error: The password you entered for the username toolset is incorrect

Can you please make sure you send me working access details.

Minesh
Supporter

Ok - thank you for sharing working access detials.

I can see that you have one form to submit the recipe and one form to Edit the repeating field group.

I would like to know, you want to add new Repeating Field Group item or edit it? If you want to Create a new item for Repeating field group, the following form should be set to "Add New Content"
=> hidden link

Can you first confirm you want to Edit repeating field group items or want to add new entry?

Also, is it Ok for you to display a post after you submit new recipe? On what flow you want to add/edit repeating field group entry?

It is basically a recipe card that will be input by the subscriber, so I would need the recipe to be reviewed by my client first before being published, secondly the repeater field is for the subscriber to add more than one ingredient, so for example he puts the first ingredient "200" - "Grams" - "Beef" and then he would need to add the next ingredient - another repeater field will initiate for him to add the second & third & Fourth etc etc etc until his list is complete and then he can proceed with the remainder of the form , once form is submitted the subscriber is then directed to the Thank you page (already in place).
if you require anything further please ask
Thank you Minesh

Minesh,
I have changed
hidden link
to add new content because I want the content to append the previous content in each subsequent repeating field.
I hope that is right
Regards
Michael

Minesh
Supporter

As you said that the new post added for recipe needs to be reviewed. So, you should set setting "Set this post status:" to "Pending Review" for the form you created to submit the Recipe:
=> hidden link

Now, Where exactly you want to add the form using which user can add the new ingredient items? To the singe post of recipe post type?

The actual form needs to go onto this page - hidden link
The page itself will be hidden using the membership plugin that I have currently installed on the website to only allow members of the restricted criteria use it (those with the role of "SuChef")

Thank you

Minesh
Supporter

I understand that but the flow is now clear.

- Lets say you allowed the user with role "SuChef" to submit the recipe using this form: hidden link
- The next step, the submitted recipe post will be in pending review.
-- How user will know the submitted recipe is approved?
-- Also, you want that once the submitted recipe is approved, after that you want to allow the users to submit the ingredient.

In my suggest, you should have a page, where you should display all the recipe posts submitted by currently loggedin user. And to do so, you can always create a view or block view and add the Query filter to filter the post by author is equal to currently loggedin user.
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views/filtering-views-query-by-author/#post-author-is-the-same-as-the-logged-in-user

By following above step, you will be able to display the recipe submitted by loggedin user and then within the loop you should try to add the child post link.

If you can share another account for the user with role "SuChef", I will show you how to do it if you are not sure how to do it.

Thank you I have now added you as a member on all three membership levels/user/roles
- Lets say you allowed the user with role "SuChef" to submit the recipe using this form: hidden link;
The User should be directed to the hidden link page
- The next step, the submitted recipe post will be in pending review.
That is correct, due to the nature of the USER, I do not want anything unscrupulous being posted on the clients website
I am not sure on how to implement this proceedure yet, as I have not looked to deeply into the "Notification" area
-- Also, you want that once the submitted recipe is approved, after that you want to allow the users to submit the ingredient.
I am wanting the recipe to be submitted asynchronously with the ingredients, so the User creates the recipe and ingredients at the same time and then only submits the entire recipe for approval once

Minesh
Supporter

So, the possible flow would be:

=> User submits the recipe: hidden link
=> The user will be redirected to the following page where he will see the list of the recipe he added:
Page -- hidden link
Where:
Thi is the view used to list the user-submitted recipe:
- hidden link

Also, with this page: hidden link, you can also add Ingredient to it.

Minesh
Supporter

I am not sure on how to implement this proceedure yet, as I have not looked to deeply into the "Notification" area
==>
There is no way to sent notification when you approve the post from backend as Toolset does not offer such feature.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.