Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Repeatable Field Group on Front End Forms

This support ticket is created 4 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Timothy 4 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

I want to add a repeatable field group on a front-end form. I looked at some other threads and I'm wondering if it's still only possible to add a repeatable field group as separate from the other fields in the form, they can't all be on the same form? Also if it's still only possible to add one repeatable field item at a time?

If so these seem like severe limitations for the repeatable field groups. Allowing them to be contained within a larger form and to add multiple items would seem logical and allow a lot more options for us site builders.

Tim

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

What you said is correct. You need a separate form to add repeating field group entry and at a time you can submit only one entry.

Please check our official Doc:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/creating-and-displaying-repeatable-field-groups/front-end-forms-for-repeatable-field-groups/#creating-a-form-for-repeatable-field-groups

I agree with you that this is a limitation for now and I'm afraid I do not have any other workaround to offer. There is a kind of workaround but it will be static. So, For instance, your Repeating Field Group has 5 custom fields and if you want to allow the user to insert 5 repeating field group entries, then you need to add 25 fields on your form and catch those input field values using the form's hook cred_save_data where you can use those field input values to insert the 5 new entries for repeating field group but this is something I would not recommend to go with.

What I can do is, ask you to file a feature request for the improvements on how RFG is managed with forms. You can submit the feature request using the following form:
=> https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset/

Thanks, but it's not really a limitation, it pretty much makes repeatable field groups useless to be used the front end. Requiring a separate form is bad enough, but adding repeated items currently takes several save/refresh/redo steps, when it should be one step. It's kind of crazy, and I could never offer that solution to clients.

Thanks for the workaround , but it's just too complicated and clunky. This really needs to get addressed.

Minesh
Supporter

I totally understand your concern and I agree. I know how frustrating is this. But as a supporter, the only thing I can offer you is to ask you to add a feature request and raise your voice by filing the feature request. Our product manager or Dev will review it.
=> https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset/

As you know, there is nothing much I can do here as simply the feature is not available.

Ok, I suggested it as a feature. Something else I would suggest, but not sure where, is that the feature requests are made public so that toolset users can vote on them. This way Toolset can see which ones the community really wants and focus their efforts more on real needs.

Minesh
Supporter

Before a few months back we used to have the public voting for feature requests but later we changed that and we are handling it using the feature request form so the requested feature will be quickly reviewed by product manager/Devs and they should act on that accordingly.

Have a great day!!

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.